1. new kid

Keith Kogane was running late, he'd overslept, his alarm hadn't gone off, which caused Keith to throw it across his room, he'd woken up an hour later than he was supposed to. He was starting a new school today, him and his Dad had just moved, and this was not a very a good first impression. Keith had a quick shower, got dressed, shoving on some black jeans, and a red jacket over his white shirt, and jumped on his bike speeding his way to the school.

Back at his old school Keith didn't really fit in, he got into quite a lot of fights and just didn't understand any of the brain-dead lunatics, his teachers called students. He was quite smart, and did pretty good in classes, he just had trouble paying attention, he was easily distracted. In his old school, there were a lot of attractive popular boys, that Keith would never have a chance with, but that didn't stop him from drooling over them in class.

Keith knew he was gay about 3 years ago when he was 14, when he kissed a guy, Johnny. They were best friends, inseparable, Johnny had helped Keith get his first girlfriend, but she'd turned out to be a complete bitch, and Keith didn't find her that attractive anyway. And so Johnny was there for him, they dated for a while, Keith told his dad, then it all came crashing down.

Johnny cheated on Keith, Keith found him, with a girl, and so Keith never trusted anyone again. He pushed everyone away, even his dad, until he became known as the 'loner'. 2 years later Keiths dad got a promotion at work, and so they moved. Keith was starting afresh, wiping the slate clean, until this morning.

He parked his bike, locked it up and rushed inside. Unfortunately running into someone, sending their books flying.

"Shit! Sorry are you okay." The guy asked him. He was tall, tanned, he had mousy brown hair, and sparkling blue eyes, he held his hand out to Keith. Time seemed to slow down as Keith stared into his eyes, he was insanely cute, he had a bulky jacket on and some blue jeans, his tanned green sneakers matching his jacket, he had a smug grin plastered across his face.

"Sorry that was my fault I shouldn't have been running." Keith stuttered taking the boy's hand, and standing up.

"Hey it's fine." The boy bent down to pick his books up, as Keith bent down to help him, their heads butted. "Ow" he said laughing, picking up his books.

"Sorry" Keith said again, blushing hard. The boy rubbed his head and collected all his books under one arm, he held his hand out once more.

"The name's Lance, Lance McClain, are you new? I don't think I've seen you around" Keith shook his hand and was about to introduce himself when a teacher walked out of a nearby classroom.

"McClain get to class." The man snapped, glowering at Lance. The boy rushed off, waving at Keith.

"Bye Mullet!" He shouted, referencing to Keiths unmodernised haircut. Keith instinctively ran his hand through his hair, smiling as the boy turned the corner. Keith turned his attention back to the teacher.

"Are you new?" Keith nodded. "You're late, go to the head, down the hall and turn left" Keith nodded again, and thanked the teacher.

Lance McClain ran into class, his books under his arm, still smiling from his encounter with the new kid. He nodded at his group of friends at the back of the class.

"Sorry I'm late Mr Smythe." He said with no real remorse to the ginger teacher, Mr Smythe just nodded, he didn't really get mad, and told Lance to sit down near the back. His friend Hunk leaned forward.

"Why are you late this time?" He whispered, Hunk had been Lance's friend for a long time, since Elementary School, and Lance trusted him with everything, though there were some secrets that Lance kept from him, kept from everyone.

"I had to drop off my little siblings, then I ran into some kid with a mullet" He said, Lance had big family, he was Cuban, he had six brothers and sisters, his eldest brother Robert, was twenty and was already married, his eldest sister was nineteen and was in college, Sophia was studying pre-med, and wanted to be a doctor. Then it was María, Who was younger than Lance, she was sixteen, her twin brother was called Mateo. The siblings Lance had dropped off at their own school were Diego and Gabriela, who were ten and seven. Because of his extended family, Lance often had to help his mother out with the little ones.

Hunk nodded and leaned back in his chair, trying to copy what he missed from Lance's other friend, Pidge. Pidge was extremely smart, especially if it concerned science, maths or anything to do with computers. Fortunately they were in Physics, one of Pidge's favourite subjects, so Lance would have loads of notes to copy from, if Pidge let him that was. She sat nudging Hunk away as she scribbled down the notes on the board, pushing her glasses up her face every now and then.

"So who was the guy you ran into?" Hunk asked him.

"I don't know, I got shouted at by Mr Alfor, so I ran here. He was new, he seemed alright." He was pretty cute Lance thought.

Lance was trying to get into the vibe of the lesson, but he was extremely bored, and he didn't enjoy science, at all. The door to the class opened, revealing Keith, holding what looked like a timetable, and a first day map of the school.

"That's the mullet guy." Lance told Hunk.

"Ah Hello, I'm Mr Smythe, and who are you?" Mr Smythe asked him.

Keiths eyes scanned the room,  before landing onto Lance. The chatter in the room died down, as the students saw the new person enter the room.

"Keith Kogane, I'm new." He said. Lance felt some sort of satisfaction, now having learned his name, he also felt a strange sense of duty over Keith, Lance thought he seemed pretty cool and he wanted to be his friend.

Lance was quite popular, a ladies man, everyone would say, though he hadn't actually been with that many girls. He was extremely flirtatious, and very cocky. Lance acted as if he owned the world, but besides that he was extremely loyal. He had a few close friends, but was friendly with everyone.

"Okay Keith, lets get you settled." The teacher looked around the room, and saw an empty seat next to the Cuban. "There's a seat next to Lance, why don't you sit there?" Keith nodded sharply, and quickly sat down, not looking at Lance.

Lance was somewhat offended, but brushed it off. "Alright mullet?" He said trying to get Keiths attention away from the work and onto him. "How you doing this fine summer morning?" Lance smirked.

"I'm fine thank you." Keith said, scribbling down what was on the board, trying to hide his blush.

Lance continuously tried to start up a conversation with Keith, until Keith told him politely to 'shut the fuck up' and Lance stopped talking for the rest of the lesson, but that didn't deter Lance, when the bell rang for the next lesson. Lance got a look at Keiths schedule.

"Dammit we're not in the same lesson, oh well, come meet us for lunch." Lance told Keith, gesturing to his other friends, Lance smiled. Keith smiled back.

Maybe first impressions didn't matter after all.

end of chapter one