18. ladies and gents of the jury

The two lawyers argued back and forth in their lawyerly way, presenting their evidence and statements and whatnot. However, things were looking up for Lance as the rat looking lawyer seemed less and less confident as the debate went on.

There was a break and most people filed out of the court room to get lunch, but Lance stayed in his seat, fumbling with his hands.

Keith made his way over to him and sat next to him, as his Dad and Robert discussed something near them. He took Lances shaking hands in his own and kissed them, smiling at him, Lance smiled softly back, trying to disguise his sad sigh.

"It's going to be okay." Keith shuffled closer to Lance and wrapped his arms around him, and Lance leaned into him. It was times like these that Keith hated their height difference, hugging a sad Lance was like hugging a forlorn giraffe, and Keith personally hated it. But never the less he wrapped his arms tighter, pulling Lance towards him, Lance hugged him back and buried his face into Keith's shoulder. "It's going to be fine."

"mhmkay." Lance mumbled into Keith's shoulder, clenching his eyes shut and hugging Keith tighter. And they just sat there, hugging each other, Lance squeezing his eyes shut so he didn't start crying, Keith
telling him that it was going to be alright, over and over again, just to make sure.

Soon enough everyone began to walk back in and take their seats. Julian shot a sideways look at Lance before sitting down. Keith squeezed Lances hand, neither of them wanted Keith to go, but he had to, he hugged him and kissed his forehead.

"I'll be just over there, I'm not going anywhere." Lance nodded solemnly, still holding Keith's hand until he walked away and went to sit back down. The judge spoke up and told them to proceed, the Rat Lawyer stood up and asked if he could have Lance come and sit on the stand again. Lance looked up at Keith's dad, panicking, Keith's dad only nodded.

"It's going to be fine." He told him, his voice soothing, like Keith's, now he knows where Keith gets it from. Lance stood up and walked back to the stand, visibly shaking, and sat down. He looked over the court, until his eyes found his fathers and he shivered, looking away quickly. He didn't want this, he never wanted this, yeah his dad was an asshole and what he did was completely wrong, but Lance didn't want this.

"Lance do you feel as though your father is homophobic?" The Rat Lawyer asked.

"Yes." Lance breathed, in and out, in and out.

"Have you ever actually asked him? Or talked to him about your sexuality?" He questioned.

"N..no."

"And you said your father may have been drunk when he 'attacked' you, on both accounts."

"Yes, but-"

"So he wasn't in the right state of mind, and you would never have known if you father actually was homophobic and didn't agree with your lifestyle, and then that completely ruled out the reason he attacked you, apart from being drunk and not knowing what he was doing, doesnt it?" The lawyer said, looking into Lance.

"Objection!" Mr Kogane said.

"Withdrawn. Mr Iverson, either get to your point or ask a different question." The Judge said.

"B..being bisexual isn't a 'lifestyle' Mr Iverson, it's who I am. My father," Lance said, spitting the word as if it tainted his lips. "didn't think much of me as a person, let alone his son. And I, personally, didn't trust him or respect him enough to tell him who I am. He was drunk, he shouldn't have been drunk. He got mad, at me, for either not telling him or not accepting me, either way, he attacked me and i have the scars to prove it." Lance said, looking his fathers lawyer right in the eye, even the Judge seemed taken aback. "I don't know what you're trying to justify, but if it's my fathers actions and choices, then you really shouldn't be a lawyer."

Keith looked at Lance with a mixture of pride and shock, a few minutes ago Lance was nearly crying, and now he was standing up for himself in front of the whole courtroom, everyone broke out into a loud whisper. The judge hit the Gavel* on her high desk, causing everyone to silence.

(*: ceremonial mallet used by judges)

"Mr Iverson, are you finished?" She asked, he nodded and sat back down. "Lance you may return to your seat." She smiled and Lance sat back down. "Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, your verdict will be announced in an hour, court adjured!" She said and everyone began to file out again.

Keith immediately made his way over to Lance, as his dad spoke to him.

"What was that up there Lance?" He asked him.

"I don't know i just, panicked." He said looking down.

"Well it was brilliant, you were lucky, but it was brilliant. I think we have a chance, a big chance. The Judge seems to like you, and she gets the final say." He told him. "I think we should all go out for something to eat and come back in an hour." Keith nodded, putting his arm around Lance and they all walked out together, passing Julian in the hall.

An hour later they returned, sitting back in their seats Mr Kogane's emotions unreadable as he put on what Keith called his 'Lawyer Face'. Lance however kept on stealing glances at Keith, who only smiled back reassuringly, and something flickered inside Lance when he did that.

The Judge sat back down, and silenced everyone. "Welcome back." She sighed. "I am now addressing the Jury, what have you convicted?" A man part of the Jury stood up.

"We find Mr Julian McClain guilty of neglect, child abuse on two accounts and assault." He said.

"Agreed." The judge said. "Mr McClain you will spend 7 Months in Florida county jail, and have 400 hours of community service. Bail is set at $50000." She hit the Gavel again. "Case dismissed."

Lance finally breathed out what felt like a breathe he'd been holding for years, some people clapped and Lance watched as his father was taken away. He stood up uneasily and walked over to where Keith was, the tears in his eyes, stinging a little. Keith hugged him tightly, anchoring him, making him feel safe.

"I'm so proud of you. You were amazing." He said into Lance's ear, and he hugged him back. "You're so brave, I love you." Lance froze.

end of chapter 18

sorry it's late i had a detention in school yesterday. ON A SATURDAY. kmn. anyway hope you enjoy this.

rip sorry for the cliffhanger