25. the big game

After the Halloween festivities the group of friends returned to school. Shiro, Hunk and Lance all had their last basketball game of the year, it was against the neighbouring school, Eastbrook High. The Castle High 'Knights' we're currently in their changing room, Keith and Pidge were sat on the stands, along with Lance, Shiro and Hunks family.

Allura however, was on the court, wearing her cheerleading uniform, stretching with the other cheerleaders, who amongst was Nyma and her friends. Allura loved cheerleading, and she loved supporting Shiro, and her friends when they were playing, even if it meant putting up with Nyma's annoying friends.

In the changing rooms, Lance was messing about as he was usually quick to get changed, when their coach walked in, Shiro's dad. He gave Lance stern look before everyone stopped talking to listen to him.

"For today's game I have two announcements, sat in the stands this very moment are scouts from UCLA university, and their sports coach there. Whoever plays up to their standards today, and to mine, may win their scholarship." Coach Shirogane said, his eyes subtly glancing in Lances direction, as the room erupted in a cheer and loud talking from the boys.

"What's the second announcement Coach?" Shiro said, his voice loud like his fathers, which quietened down the rest of the team.

"Alex Jones is rejoining the team and, for today, he's going to be on the bench." Once again the room erupted but this time in groans, Jones walked in, carrying his kit and started to get changed. Lance just sighed and shut his locker, tying his shoe laces.

The boys in the changing room heard the band starting to play, as the school chant started. The rest of the boys started to file out of the changing room, running onto the court as everyone cheered.

*"Castle High Knights, yeah we're doing it right!" The cheerleaders shouted, Shiro smiled in their direction. Lance looked up, his eyes found his boyfriend, he smiled at Keith, who waved a little back. Lance loved this, the cheering, the lights, the immense feeling of excitement before every game, especially now that Keith was watching.

They ran out and Jones nudged past him, hitting his shoulder.

"Watch it McClain, you wouldn't want to mess up today, especially in front of UCLA" He smirked and jogged over to the bench, as the happy feeling in Lance's chest subsided a little. Before he knew it the whistle was blown and the game began, Eastbrook had the ball.

Most of the Knights ran after the ball, Lance ran around the side and jumped up, as the player passed it to his teammate, Lance caught the ball and passed it to Shiro, who passed it along and they scored. Lance smirked and the game continued.

Keith watched Lance as he seemed to glide about the court, playing basketball was definitely his strong suit. The dark haired boy glanced at the scout that was sat near the front of the stands, having all his faith that his boyfriend would impress them.

Keith jumped when a buzzer went off, signalling half time. All they players sat down, getting their water bottles. Lance smiled up at Keith, who waved back. Shiro ran over to the cheerleaders and Allura kissed him, and whispered something in his ear, to which he blushed slightly.

Soon enough their coach called them back and they all discarded their bottles and ran back into the court for the second half to begin.

"Lance if I have the ball I'm passing it to you to score the last shot okay?" Shiro told him.

"Okay?" Lance said, as Eastbrook had the ball.

No sooner had it started had another buzzer sounded. One of the Knights had shoved into one of Eastbrooks players , and they had, had to go off, leaving an open space for the coach to send on Jones. Keith glared at him. He didn't deserve to be there. Jones jogged around the court and ran up behind Lance, smirking a little.

"Go back where you belong McClain, you know you're not as good as me." Jones said to him, Lance just rolled his eyes and tried to brush him off, Hunk passed him the ball and he scored, even with Jones threatening to nudge him. Lance smiled.

"You were saying?" Lance smirked and the game continued. It was 22-16, Castle High we're in the lead, with 10 minutes on the clock. Hunk had the ball and signalled to Lance, he then threw it over to him, just as someone from Eastbrook jumped in front of him and caught the ball.

Lance scowled and ran in front of them, and as they were about to score, he stole the ball back and dribbled it across the court. 5 minutes. When he was halfway across the court, he aimed at the net and threw, his body almost leaping upwards as he stretched over the mass of players. He watched as the ball traveled towards the net, and in.

He knew they were going to win anyway, but that shot, that one shot, well it practically set his basketball career up. Lance smiled wider and as Eastbrook tried to get the ball over the other side of the court, the whistle was blown, signalling the end of the game.

Panting, the Knights stopped playing and everyone cheered, the whole room bursting with cheers and clapping. Lance smiled and tried to find Keith again, his eyes instead landing upon the UCLA scout. The scout smiled a little before Lance turned away and got his water bottle.

"Lance I owe you" Shiro said and patted his shoulder and smirked a little.

"What? Why?" Shiro didn't answer, just walked over the court to where Allura was and kissed her. Lance just shrugged and drank from his water.

He saw Jones out of the corner of his eye talking to Nyma, but they weren't all lovey dovey like Shiro and Allura. They both looked at Lance and he raised and eyebrow, before they both walked off. He had known that Jones was pissed, he didn't get much game time and didn't score at all, but he looked seriously angry.

Lance just shrugged and got his kit, he saw Keith walking down the stands and nodded his head towards the changing rooms, Keith followed him in.

"Hey" Keith smiled.

"Hey" Lance smiled back and before he knew it Keith's lips were on his and Keith's hands were cupping his neck. Lance dropped his bottle and bag, pulling him closer, kissing him back.

"You look really hot in your basketball kit" Keith smirked a little, he kissed him again and smiled.

"Do you think that's what UCLA will give me a scholarship for?" Lance chuckled a little.

"I would" Keith smiled. "But you weren't just hot, you were amazing, they would be stupid not to give you a scholarship."

"And if they don't?" Lance sighed.

"Then they don't deserve you anyway." Keith smiled and hugged him, Lance hugged back, his mind clouded with the drifting thought of the way Jones and Nyma had looked at him, and if he got into UCLA or not.

end of chapter 25

* yes that is the chant from high school musical, sue me. maybe i'm obsessed, maybe not, who knows.