Chapter 1

"Get up damn it!" I hear as hands find their way underneath me and flip me off the bed. I let out a yelp before my face met the floor.

"Ow..." I murmured as I felt a foot lightly nudge against my side.

"Get. Up. Riley. Elizabeth." My mother's harsh voice was ringing into my ears, "I've woken you up three times already. Three!"

"Oops." Sarcasm dripped off my tongue as I sat up and walked over to my dresser, staring at myself through the mirror that was plastered above.

My mom's feet tapped out of my room, "Teenagers..." she mumbled before leaving fully.

"Yeah yeah whatever." I rolled my eyes and yawned as I pulled on a violet sweatshirt and yoga pants. My phone vibrates repeatedly and I hover over it to see my best friend Jamie calling for a FaceTime.

I snatched my phone and immediately answered it, took a few moments to load before her face appeared. Her skin was tan and her blonde hair stopped at her shoulders. It was 7 am in the morning and Jamie looked like she took an hour to look perfect. I wasn't going to lie to myself that I wasn't jealous of her beauty and petite form, but I've never expressed it. Her lips were the color of a fresh red rose and her fake eyelashes looked as if someone would lose an eye if they made out with her.

"Riley why do you look like shit?" She saw my messy bun and bagged eyes.

Did I mention she isn't afraid to say what's on her mind? I hate that about her sometimes, but she's been there for me since we were learning how to ride bikes without training wheels. I could share a sob story, let myself be captured into a flashback of memories with this girl. Expressing my least favorite and favorite chapters, but my mindset is to continue on, letting details die in the past.

"Just woke up." I admitted sheepishly before walking to my bathroom and pulling out mascara.

"Why am I surprised, sleeping in Is definitely one of the only things you're good at." Jamie said amused, watching as I carefully applied the makeup to the tiny hairs attached to my flesh.

"Puh lease," I finished up swiftly before filling in my eyebrows, "eating a lot of food and getting fat is my specialty too." I say and a laugh left Jamie's mouth.

"You're not wrong there! I should get in the car and get my ass over there to you. Make sure you eat breakfast!"

"I will mom," We can all admit we have that one friend who talks shit but usually cares about you the most, "and yes you should, see you in a bit."

"See you." Jamie hung up and I shoved my phone in my pocket while putting my makeup away with a slam of the drawers. 

"Riley!" I hear my mom shout from the kitchen.

"Yeah mom?!" I yelled back in response.

No answer.

"Mom?!" I shouted louder than necessary. 

Nothing.

I stretched, feeling my spine pop and sighed, "Mooooooooom!" I yelled leaving my room, not bothering to clean up my bedding or brush my tangled hair. 

I stumbled into the kitchen effortlessly to see her standing at the counter, her back staring at me. I groaned in annoyance to see she was ignoring my responses and cursed under my breath. 

"Ah, I see you finally came out of your room." She heard my mumbling of profanity and turned around with eggs and bacon on a plate in her hand.

"Technically you heard me, didn't see." I reached for the plate but she pulled back so I couldn't grab it.