Chapter 2

Beep

Beep

Beep

Beep

My eyes cracked open, the light of the room blinding me as I took a minute to adjust to it. Remembering the event prior, I stood up in shock to see I was in a hospital bed. I looked to my right to see my dad sitting on a chair sleeping peacefully.

A heavy sigh escaped my mouth as I called out to my dad. "Da-" I tried to choke out, but my throat was dry. Clearing my throat, and letting saliva caress it, I tried again, "Dad?" I say barely as a whisper, and his eyes shot open.

"Oh pumpkin." He sat up quickly and grabbed my hand with the other on my cheek. "How're you feeling?"

"I feel fine... what happened?" I asked even though I saw it with my own two eyes. I wanted to believe it, but maybe I hallucinated?

"You were hit by a car last night, your mother and I have been worried sick." He informed.

"Where is mom?"

"Home, sleeping. She will be here soon." He gave me a soft smile in which I returned.

It disappeared when I remember my hands stopping the car, my dad noticed it and gave me a questioning look. "Pumpkin?"

"Sorry, just..." He would think I'm crazy.

"It's okay you can tell me." He said as I continued to debate with myself.

"How am I not dead? That car is destroyed and it hit me." I said and my voice cracked, I couldn't lie to myself that I wasn't scared.

"It's just a miracle the doctors say. They say the car was already destroyed from hitting other things before hitting you." He rubbed my arm to calm me down.

My eyes flashed to a sudden flashback, back to the night before the car hit me. I saw the headlights, they blinded me. So if they worked, there's no way that car was destroyed already. I remember the feeling of the metal fitting underneath my hands so perfectly. It felt as if I did that... but I'm not enhanced... I'm not what they call a mutant.

I refuse to believe that's what I am.

I was ripped away from my thoughts from the corner of my eye catching a petite girl running into the room and now on the other side of the bed. Her hands intertwined with my free hand.

"You have no idea how scared I was!" Jamie yelled, her eyes red and puffy from crying, "I can't lose you dickhead!"

My dad's eyes widened before sitting up, "I'll leave you two alone for a moment." He walked out and shut the door behind him.

Before I could speak, Jamie spoke first, "You're never going to walk home ever again." She said sternly. Her blonde hair in a messy bun, with baby hairs sticking out from the side made me smile at her.

"If you insist mother." I joked and she rolled her eyes.

We were silent looking at our hands, before I finally spoke up, "Listen, I need to tell you something."

"Yeah?" Her blue eyes met mine and she waited.

"The doctors say it was a miracle and other details of the car already being destroyed and blah blah. They're wrong."

She let out a scoff, "Riley, you-."

"I'm being serious Jamie." I cut her off, pleading for her to take this seriously. She must have seen a certain look from me that made her smile fade and she listened.