Chapter 6

The chatting of civilians filled my ears as the sunlight brushed my face delicately. With Peter by my side, we walked in a comfortable silence. Our feet tapping against the gravel of the park. I took a quick glance at Peter who ran a hand through his hair, and I wondered why he had flinched earlier. I thought to why he looked mortified when I said I killed. Sure, it made me sick. It put me in shock that clouded my focus that Natasha helped me dodge through as promised, but does he look at me any differently? Am I still Riley? Or am I a monster?

"Peter?" My curiosity got to the best of me and his name rolled off my tongue. He turned to me and I stopped walking. His eyes gave me a questioning look and I opened my mouth to speak but I was paused by my frustration and fear. He must have seen my expression of defeat, he cocked his head a bit before speaking.

"You can tell me anything." He tried to reassure me.

My fear and frustration escalated to amusement, and it grew more and more. I had to bite back a laugh and it was noticeable, Peter was getting more confused each second that passed by.

"My life has changed so much, it's just funny. It only took a week, just a damn week for it all to become a mess. I thought my hands were dirty for not completing homework, no- now they're not just dirty. They're bloody." I scoffed and bit my lip, "Peter, are you afraid of me?"

He seemed speechless from my words, shocked. He opened his mouth but shut up, trying to rush himself into thinking of the right words to say. His slow answer bothered me and I was ready to turn on my heels and keep walking without him.

"No, I'm not. And your life may be a mess, but this world doesn't revolve around you Riley. You think my life hasn't sucked too? I'm not moping and sulking over it. My parents are dead, my uncle is dead, and I lost someone I thought I could start something with. Instead I had to help put her father in jail." He paused from frustration before continuing, "You don't think I wish it were easier? Trust me I do, trust me a lot of people do." He got closer to me, a side and look of Peter Parker I've never seen before, "Open your damn eyes and stop being an ass. It's selfish to think that I'd ever look at you any differently because you were scared and blinded by your power that's new to you. It's understandable."

My eyes were watery and my lips trembled from each word he stabbed me with. I hated it because he was right, acting like a fool forgetting that in this world that there are others. And me asking a question like that to someone who's been through enough, adds on top of that. He clearly sees me as a friend and doesn't want to see his friend talk about herself in a way it's so cruel. I know I'm a good person, and I asked a stupid question with an obvious answer.

"Then why did you flinch when I grabbed your arm yesterday?" I asked and he chuckled shaking his head.

"You're an over thinker, I'm starting to develop a stronger reflex reaction that I'm not quite used to yet." He grabbed my shoulder, "You grabbing my arm just ticked a reflex. That's all." He convinced me and I nodded embarrassed from how stupid I've sounded to him.

"Sorry." I said barely as a whisper and his hand moved from my shoulder to my hand.

"It's okay." He gave it a light squeeze, "I know you've been stressed, and with everything that's happened. This is normal, just try to stick to reality. I've been in your shoes, I know what it's like." He gave me a smile and I returned it sheepishly.

"Thank you Peter."

He nodded letting go of my hand and we continued to walk. I was sure this was a start of a really good friendship between him and I. Jamie and I would never even have talks like this because she would get defensive if I was honest with her. Yet she can be honest with anyone and it's okay to do so in her world.