Chapter 19

Peter's POV

I couldn't decide what was worse, knowing someone you cared about was dead, or knowing they're alive—but they aren't themselves anymore. If she's still alive, which I have more reassurance than ever that she is. If Riley wasn't alright, I'm certain Dean wouldn't have tried to put an end to our plan.

Dean.

Dean.

That name was poison, reminding me of true betrayal. What sickened me more is that he used Riley for his own pleasure. HYDRA clearly has been planning this out, thus the reason he walked into her life the exact day her powers sparked. Therefore, he didn't even need to pretend to like her, to benefit off of her for disgusting purposes. He was evil.

He is evil.

Letting this sink in sent shivers down my spine. I needed my best friend back, and I felt so close to getting her home. I felt like I was tied to a pole, unable to free myself; Riley just inches away. All I had to do was reach out and grab her, but my hands were pulled behind me. We would already be there, we could at this precise moment be in this so called Gotham if Dean didn't interfere. And again, we would be there now if Wanda wasn't injured. Tony was getting very impatient, fighting every will to stand up and demand Strange takes a break from Wanda to make a portal so he could fetch her himself.

"Go get Natasha and Barton." Tony suddenly turned to me, and without question—I stood up with my feet patting against the wood flooring to the door. I tightened my grip around the handle and pulled the door open with ease.

"No idea what you just said but I understand." I caught Clint with a small laugh say as I stepped out of the building.

"Guys?" I let slip out as they turned towards me. "Tony asked me to come get you guys." I felt my hair bounce to the soft winds as if they were dancing together gracefully.

"We will be there in a jiffy." Clint responded casually and I gave a blunt nod before returning back to where I started. As I scurried away, I heard the two assassin's exchange a few words but I couldn't make out what they were saying being too far away.

Back in the sitting room, Tony stood there with his Iron Man suit still equipped. His arms crossed with his fingers tapping against his metal arms anxiously. He stuck his tongue into his cheek, glancing behind me expecting his friends to be there presently. Before he could query, I heard the door click close, and their boots thumping. I took the opportunity to sit myself back onto the couch, letting my mind escape back into potential occasions. 

"Problem, Stark?" The archer was the first to speak, his eyebrow lifted awaiting for a response. We've all been anticipating when we can continue what we've had planned—in which to be completely truthful, was a dull plan. 

"I've thought," Tony's eyes not straying from Natasha and Clint as he began, "We go in. Sure, but how do we get out? It's obvious portals don't remain perpetually active." He pointed out, his voice calm, but you knew he was at war deep in the inside. 

It was then, we were all in a deathly silence for a few, agonizingly moments. The unpleasant tension between us was causing me to shift uncomfortably in my seat. It was as if we were in an intense chess match, every move being crucial and everyone was cautious as ever. However, someone out of nothingness, would peer out of the shadows and knock down the chess table. Our plot at a strategic advantage, just crumbled by one diminutive matter.

Tony's question had created a falter, that was until Strange and Wanda made an appearance. 

"Until further notice, why don't you prepare yourselves better this time, so you don't repeat your antics." Strange spoke in the hushed environment. "Did you just think that you could come here and somersault on into the portal?"