Chapter 18

Riley's POV

My heart was pounding nonstop, thinking of all the possible outcomes of this shitty situation. Bruce was irritated, and I couldn't blame him; he was gone for not even an hour and we were attacked. Not to mention apparently from what I've heard, he's also stressed that his son is working with someone they are not very fond of. A heavy sigh left my lips with all of my problems sinking in, second by second.

"It's getting late." Bruce's deep voice echoed in the laboratory. "This fight drained most of you, head on to bed unless you're Starfire." He ordered quietly, his hands were shoved into his pockets, and exhaustion wasn't hard to detect on his face.

Harley let out a soft hum, "I'll stay up, sleep was never my forte anyways." Her back faced us as she gazed at the computer screen.

"I've still got work to do." Diana straightened up, turning on her heels; peering over thinner screens that illuminated her tanned skin, with her eyebrow arched upwards--absorbed into whatever she was reading.

Jay's palm softly grasped my shoulder to lead me to the exit, we were halfway crossing paths with Bruce. It came to an abrupt stop when Bruce firmly grabbed Jay's arm. "Sleep with one eye open." He leaned in closely. I was convinced that Jay could feel his breath caress his cheek, "Both of you need to be cautious tonight." He reminded with a dignified tone.

We nodded, although, my nod was less significant--I didn't want to be by myself tonight after all the events prior. I felt paranoid every breath I took; Dynamite's eyes visually planted into my mind. His callous smirk was staring right back at me endlessly, I could still hear his chilling voice.

"Hail HYDRA,"  Whispering over and over.

Bruce recoiled from Jay and watched us as we crept out of the so called 'cave'.  We walked down the hall in an uncomfortable silence, tensed up as if something was waiting in the shadows to jump on us. Which with no doubt after this absurd month, would happen. Jay shifted closer to me so with every step he took, I could feel the back of his hand lightly graze against my own. I couldn't pinpoint the reason of why. Was he being apprehensive? Was he being protective? I wondered how he felt about all this, making me feel uneasy. What if he was feeling ambivalent like Diana?

"Do you think you'll be okay?" His voice instantaneously cut me from my ridiculous thoughts.

I blinked at him oblivious to what he was asking about, "What do you mean?"

He cleared his throat, "Do you think you'll be okay to sleep alone? Does it bother you amigo?"

No, I mind it dearly. "I can manage, like Bruce said, sleep with one eye open or whatever." I repeated the instruction told to the both of us.

* * *

Aimlessly, I flopped onto the bed that my body sank into. I took a deep breath, trying my hardest to reassure myself that tonight will be okay.

That I will be safe.

My hands found their way under the floral covers, my legs sliding underneath. At first I felt my legs sting from the cold layering, that was until they adjusted to match the temperature of warmth. I reminded myself consistently to inhale and exhale in troublesome moments like these, recalling Jay's words to me before I stepped in the room.

"I'll stay awake for the most part, okay? You don't need to be afraid, just call my name and I'll come running patear un culo." 

I will be safe.

I felt better with Jay ready to break down the doors at any given moment, but possible scenarios trickled into my head. What if he injected the final dose while I was in a 'peaceful' slumber?