Chapter 15

Riley's POV

I silently followed Jay down the dull halls of Bruce Wayne's mansion. It felt odd that I was constantly reminded that I'm in a whole other universe, different stories, different people, different tragedies. I felt my chest tighten, once a while getting a sick feeling to my stomach. Jamie's pale skin, lifeless eyes, blood drenching into the carpet appearing out of no where, my nerved frazzled. Probably for the rest of my life, this would never go away I feel. A reason for all of this happening, was me. I was the reason my best friend— my sister, lost her life. I shouldn't have told her about the car, I shouldn't have gotten her involved. Her weakly colored eyes stared back at me once again and I gasped lightly from the traumatic scene.

"Are you okay?" Jay's voice snapped me out of my sorrow, I said nothing but offered a brief nod of reassurance. Wiping my face, I felt a wet surface — just now realizing I was crying. Jay didn't say anything more but sighed lowly.

He didn't know what to say and I couldn't blame him, if I were in his shoes: I wouldn't be able to talk to a broken girl who is going through a loss. It seemed almost impossible to cheer someone like me up. We eventually came to a stop and Jay slightly turned to a door to his right, his brown eyes met mine and he licked his lips before speaking.

"This is your room until you get home, if you need me," he pointed to the left with his thumb, "that is my room, okay?"

"Yeah, okay." I grabbed the handle, "thank you." I pushed the door open and quickly isolated myself into the room. It wasn't as big as my room in the Avengers Headquarters, but it was still fancy. The modern style was fitting.

Before I could identify all details of my temporary room, I did what my body has been begging me to do that I've been fighting off. I fell to my knees and I let the sobs of pain, misery, and loss leave my mouth at once. I wish Peter was here, he always knew what to say and he was an expert at making me feel better. I wish Wanda was here, she always had something fascinating to say and it put your mind into a whole different place. I wish Tony were here, his sarcastic remarks made me want to hit him, but all I want to do is hug him right now. I wish Natasha was here, I felt safe with her nearby and she was always dropping some advice that I needed. Listening to anything I had to say. Jamie was my world and now she's gone.

I sat on the floor for a while letting my emotion out, I didn't keep track for how long I sat there but I began to feel lonely. My mind brought me back to Jay and I got up to exit the room. My head stuck out of the door frame and examined the halls from side to side. My gaze switched to Jay's room and crept over to it, I took a deep breath before knocking on the wooden surface.

It didn't take long for the boy to open it and seemed surprised to see me. He pulled out an earbud from his ear so it dangled against his shoulder, "Do you need something Riley?"

I sighed and hesitated before answering, looking down at my feet, "A friend." I looked back up and a small smile formed on his lips before backing up to make room for me to come in.

I nodded appreciatively and squeezed my way past him. His room was messier than mine, dirty clothing was nearby on the floor, the dressers had garbage and photos lying around. His bed was unmade, but seeing there was no where else to sit, I sat down on the covering and Jay joined me. We sat in silence, the music blasting from his earbuds and he pulled out the other turning off the music on his phone.

"She was stabbed, right in front of me." I blurted suddenly and Jay turned his head slighty, listening closely as if he were studying me. "Who knew that goodbye to her, was my last." I bit my lip and closed my eyes.

"You were saying goodbye to her?" Jay asked quietly.

"Yes, I was suppose to leave and go somewhere to hide because we didn't know who or what was after me. When I was saying my goodbyes, Dean— Dynamite," I corrected myself, "he killed her so she wouldn't be a problem. He lied to me and he's trying to use a final dose on me to make me a weapon. It terrifies me." Jay didn't say anything an let me speak. I shook my head, "I shouldn't have let him into my life so easily. It's my fault she's dead."