Chapter 20

Blue Beetle's POV (Jay/Jamie)

Yesterday, my main motive that kept my heart rate up was cooking—stressing that I'd burn a pie to a crisp when I had thought I didn't get it out of the oven on time. But now, I have a new responsibility, a girl I saw was getting brutally beaten on the sandy shores of Gotham. The waves were loud, but weirdly, not as loud as the pain in her eyes. I heard her cries through her pupils, begging to be given mercy. I've been through many scenarios of wearing the cape, of which were normal to me; I didn't give second thought to since it was a regular thing. I got the job done and that was that. However, when I saw Riley, I never felt so desperate to get someone away from danger. Perhaps I saw a familiar expression that laid upon her face, that had once been on mine.

It has been a day, a long day. Whoever is after her, has shown that he isn't giving up and determination is strong in his veins. To our advantage, there are plenty of us who are protecting Riley. Mostly because we are fearful of what could happen to the better part of us if we hadn't. A final dose, was important to our enemy; clear he is quite serious of a scheme in mind. I replayed what Riley had said to me—saying that she doesn't know what this outcome could be, but if it occurs then not only is her world at stake...

Our's too.

I haven't slept a wink, listening carefully to any movement traveling from Riley's room. I didn't want to be in any position where I had no other choice than I put her down, but I will. Although it's hard, considering we've become friends, plus I know for a fact that she's the most innocent person who has been through so much agony. She doesn't deserve a dent of this. If It ever comes to the moment I have to kill her, I'd do it for all of our safety. No matter how attached I get to her.

I promised myself that.

* * *

Riley's POV

I guess this was my life now, feeling so paranoid every passing minute. Expecting a psycho to be in view with a needle pinched in between his fingertips. Anxiously prepared, to press it into my skin. To distract myself from my thoughts, I started to think about the night on the balcony with Tony Stark, remembering the single tear that fell from his tired eye. He was personal and truthful in the breezy atmosphere, and you knew he fought every part of himself not to be. I may have every word, every syllable planted into my head that slipped from his voice, but I'll never disregard how safe I felt with him. How important I felt, I never even felt this with my adoptive parents—or anyone. His arrogant attitude towards me at first, was enough for me not to see how much he cared about how I was.

Out of the blue, I felt my muscles tense up. My eyelids shot open as I laid down sideways in the same position I fell asleep to. I felt something wrong, yet I was unable to detect what was causing the bothersome ambiance. It was almost as If I was being lassoed to a presence, or even an object nonexistent. Now, the lasso felt as if it were pulling me from my back. Screaming at me almost. I whipped around on my bed and held out my hand, a gasp unexpectedly leaving my mouth.

To my surprise, my hand was holding an arm that was holding no other than a syringe. It almost pierced my flesh, and somehow I knew. The person who tried to stick the needle in me, was no doubt as shocked as me—who I assume was Dynamite. Since it was dark, I couldn't identify who the figure was, but didn't hesitate to throw them backwards into my wall.

"Jay!" I cried for help, heavy breaths repeating, shaking tremendously as I watched the person recover from the hard push. I took action before he could fully get on his feet, my speed increasing as I ended up in front of him, grabbing his neck and pressing him against the wall.