Chapter Twenty: A Dream Come True

Pidges POV

"Takashi, you didn't have to do this."

The man chuckles deeply, placing his mighty hands on his hips. "Well, your now turning into a young adult. It has to be celebrated."

"It's just an celebration that demonstrates that I didn't die this year and wishes good luck that I don't die next year. Also indicates that I'm getting older."

"Why do you have to be so negative? It's your birthday! Your finally turning 20 years old and all your thinking of right now is death?"

I nod, a grin on my face. It was absolutely true - birthdays can be seen as celebrations to a person that hasn't died yet when approaching a new age. And if they're lucky enough, they won't die between this birthday and the next future birthday. We avoid death everyday somehow and these celebrations just demonstrate how we didn't die yet. Shocking, right? Every year, your one step closer to your death if you approach old age.

And in my dark mind, I saw them more as "I didn't die yet" celebrations than "I'm finally getting older" parties. I'm messed up; Keith even said that to me before. I'm just a special child.

I was in the kitchen of my mother's house (or really half of mine now), surprised to see a secret party set up for me. Even my own mother and best friend decided to join. To include, the flirtatious boyfriend that Keith has is here as well as my best bud Hunk. Hunk and I haven't seen each other in a long time so when I saw him just moments ago, I couldn't be anymore happier.

The house was decorated with lime green decorations; lime green being my personal favorite color. Everyone must have figured out my favorite color by asking my mother or Keith. Those two were so close to me for so long that I consider Keith my second brother and my mother a personal friend. They've been in my childhood for most of those years.

"Katie, stop thinking about death. Let's think about... well, I don't know, puppies and penises," Keith objected, arms crossed. Lance simply stood slightly behind the man, just listening to our conversations and not daring to join in.

"Penises? Really?"

"Ya, why not?"

"Your so gay."

"Your so straight."

"Shut up."

"No."

"Stop fighting. Now let's go either talk in the living room or enjoy ourselves some cake!" Colleen smiled softly, walking over the refrigerator and soon pulling out a well sized cake. The quiet woman then placed the desert on the dining table, walking back into the kitchen for a lighter and silverware. I slowly approached the vanilla cake, can't help it but softly smile. I haven't received a cake for almost three years now due to the loss and grief of my missing family members. Back then, on those birthdays, I most likely took the day off from work or get some ice cream after work as a treat for being on this Earth today. Earth is too mysterious for myself to handle.

Shiro gently places a hand on my right shoulder, comforting me from behind in a loving and friendly motion. Keith walks up on my left side, smiling down at the cake. "That's a fine cake," Keith added.