Chapter 1

Staring at the gray walls around me, I sat on the bench in the institution in silence. How did I get here, you ask? Where do I begin... Oh yeah, the first day of school...
••••
I walked down the hallways of the school silently, watching as they whispered under their breaths. I didn't mind it, it was just another popular kid thing anyways. Maya followed close behind me. Why? I don't know. She's usually skipping class, or hanging out with the cool kids, since she was one herself. I don't know why she even talks to me, or even considers me her friend.

Finally, one of them decided to say something to my face. I recognized her as Sophia, one of Maya's old friends, and one of my sworn enemies of this school. She's always trying to humiliate me. Sometimes it worked, other times it was only her and her gang laughing.

"Hey... What's your name again?" She asks, looking up to the boy standing next to her. "Oh, right... Minkus was it?" She snaps her fingers trying to remember. I held my place raising an eyebrow at her. Then her eyes widen. "Oh! Faggot Minkus, right?" The other guy laughs, and a few kids look in our direction concerned. Some jerks laughed at it.

Maya pins her to the locker, "Call him that again, I dare you. I FUCKING DARE YOU!"

"Maya." I call, but she didn't hear me, as she slaps Sophia across the face. The halls were now almost empty, cause the bell had just rung. "Maya..." I call again, but she continues to threat.

Her voice lowers, "You leave him alone... Or I'll-"

"Maya!" I yell, "We have to get to class." She lets the girl go, and nods as she follows me.

Sometimes I can tell that she tends to forget this isn't her neighborhood anymore. She has a habit of picking fights, whereas I don't. I've grown keen to just ignoring things, because I've learned I can't do anything about them.

"I just don't like seeing you get that's all." She whispers, not too loud however, for it might ruin her reputation.

I sigh, and rub the back of her head. She puts her cheek against mine, and I could feel my nerves tingling. I've liked Maya for a while now, but I didn't know how to tell her.

••••
It was after school, and I was laying on my bed thinking about Maya. How many guys has she been with? Why does she keep getting drunk at those parties? Why did she get so crazy over defending me earlier? What does she look like naked?

I bit my lip at that last one, but before I could get carried away I realized my sister Riley came in, in the midst of my thoughts.

"Hey Farki." She greeted, jumping on the bed next to me. "How's it going?" She asks me in her slight accent. It was a mix of Canadian and midwestern which is weird since we were both born and raised in New York.

"Oh you know, just thinking about Maya..." I cracked a smile as she came in mind.

"Hey you be careful, she's my best friend." She reminds me. Suddenly, her phone rings. She looks at it and smiles, indicating that it was her crush.

"Hey you be careful, he's my best friend."

Her man was an American Italian named George, a good friend of mine. He was a tall handsome brunette, who knew how to make someone smile.

I hear her faded voice, "He wants to take me out tonight. Is that ok?"

Since our family is half Italian, I always caught the two of them speaking it fluently to each other. Though I never got the chance to learn, I could tell the two were flirting.

She nudges me, "Farkle? Faarkle... FARKLE!"

She jumps on my chest.

"Wha-wha?"