Chapter 3

Chapter 3
I watched out the window as the rain poured from the sky as memories came back to me.
She was different. Maybe it was her anxiety. Maybe it was her personality. Maybe she was too emotional. Maybe maybe...

••••   
This morning, dad decided to take us to school in his car since it was raining. I told him that we should take the subway, but he disagreed.

So, he pulled up in the parking lot on the side of the school. Once he stopped, I pulled up my hood, and jumped out of the car. I kept my head down so no one would notice me, but Riley had to ruin it
"You can look up." She pipes. "It's not raining that hard."

"Shut up Riles," I growl as I push through the door. As soon as I got in someone tripped me. The hell has started.

••••
Plump. Plump. Plump.   
Maya continued to throw balled papers towards the trashcan missing every time. I could tell she was anxious because class was almost over, and we were about to go home. The rain poured splashing against the window pane.

She rolled up another one, and was going to throw it, but I stopped her, putting a hand over hers. She made eye contact, and then she slowly put the paper down on her desk. She folds her hands together and starts shaking her legs.    

"Why do you always do that?" Riley asks abruptly. I give her a look signaling her to back off, but she only slants her eyes at me in response.    

"Anxiety." Maya responds. "It helps shake it off."    
I put an arm on her back.    

"Hey, you ok? You know with everything that happened at the party and all with that guy... of yours,"   

"Yeah, I'm fine. For now." She spoke simply and quietly.    

We both continue to stare at the clock as the seconds ticked.    

Tick, tick, tick, ring
••••   
"C'mon Minkus, we're working together at my place remember?" Maya calls in the rain. She seemed kind of excited for some reason. I ran, splashing in the puddles as I did so. Finally, we made it to her apartment complex.   

It seems like everytime I cross the property line bad things start happening.    

I was stopped in my tracks when I felt someone lift me up from the back of my shirt.    

"This is him, Maya?" I look up to see a taller green eyed boy, and it wasn't long until I realized this was the guy from the party.   

"Put him down!" Maya yells.    

"This is the guy." He growls. I stay still not moving. Don't move. Don't initiate. Don't make eye contact.    

"This is the guy you think will 'treat you better'," he quotes her.    

She was getting angry now, "Put. Him. Down." She spits through her gritted teeth.    

"You're in love with this fucking loser?" I look up to her shocked.    

"Sh-she loves me?" I manage to whisper.    

This has to be a prank. ABORT! ABORT! I struggle to get away, but I see Maya look at me. Her eyes in pure shock and fear for what's about to happen, and of coarse she's on the verge of tears. She doesn't break though. She's too strong to let that happen. She walks up to the stone of a boy and pushes him causing me to drop. I land on me feet however, and as soon as they hit the ground I hear him yell.   

"What the fuck?"    

"You leave him alone. This fight is in between us only. You got that?"