Chapter 4

Chapter 4
Then she met my family...
••••
My mom was a peculiar mom. When someone knocked on our door she'd open it greeting them, like usual. Bringing them in, she would ask them if they needed any water. Sitting them on the couch, usually doing something as she walked like dusting, sweeping, ect.

And once they said, "Can I speak to Mrs. Minkus please?" She would nod, sit next to them and say, "What do you need?"

And everytime they would laugh and say, "I thought you were the maid!"

Maya had been here before, and she knew my family quite well, but her mother didn't.

"I thought you were the maid!" Mrs. Hart chuckles as she holds her glass of water.

"I get that alot. Farkle knows, right Farki?" My mom adresses me and I nod. Maya sat down next to me, and put my hand on her thigh smiling at her. She smiled back.

"Anywho my husband should be getting here anytime now."

She sat and waited, not really sure where to start the conversation.

"Well," Catherine said standing, "Why don't I help in the kitchen Mrs..."

"Rose." My mother responds abruptly, but not too much to scare her off. My mother smiles as she gets up, and starts leading to the kitchen.

"Maya," Catherine calls.

"But mom," Maya responds, but Catherine stared at her coldly. Maya stands lazily, and starts stomping her way over to her mother. Once she gets there, they disappear in the kitchen.

I finally gathered the strength to get up and follow them in.

"Farkle, cut the tomatoes." My mother calls over the stove. I grab the knife and proceed. Maya was boiling more vegetables. She looks over her shoulder to me and smiles, and I smile back.
We cooked for half and hour, until finally my father came home.

"Sorry I'm late," he says as he walks into the kitchen. He looks at the set table on the side. We had a dining table, but that was only for really special occasions.

My father picks up things from the table, moving them to make everything symmetrical. My mom turns, and runs back to the table with a serving bowl of food. Maya and I sit down. We eat happily.
••••
"Well it's time we go home," Maya's mother implies as she starts turning the doorknob. I see Maya frown, and she turns to hug me.

So warm. I hug her back, kissing her cheek.

"Wait," my mom says, her eyes twinkling. "Stay."

"W-what?" Catherine stutters.

"Listen, I know you don't have much to go back too, and it's getting late. And plus it's freezing outside! You can't possibly go out there!"

Maya stares, but her arms remain around my waist.

"Alright, Maya can stay. But I have work
tomorrow, and I'll be fine in the cold. I do it all the time."

"Okay, that's fine. We'll keep her safe." Mom looks at her, and smiles assuring everything will be ok. Her smile was magical and would always make people feel warm inside.

Finally, Catherine leaves, and Maya and I decide to go upstairs. I use the bathroom quickly, and then run to my room. As soon as I open it I was greeted with the cutest sight my eyes have ever witnessed. There lay Maya, eyes closed, wearing nothing but my long sleeve hollister shirt.

I walked until I was standing in front of her.

"You don't mind do you?" She mumbles through her tired lips.