Chapter 14

Third person pov

"You know what, I think I'm going to close the door." Shikamaru said once he saw the look on his father's face. It was full of worry and seriousness, a look a lazy man like Shikaku didn't usually sport. It was unsettling to see him like that, and it kind of hurt. Shikamaru had lost his dad near the beginning of the war... he hadn't realized how much he'd missed him. "No, please!" Itachi blurted out, his eyes wide. Shikamaru blinked at him with mild-surprise. "Your brother has manners." Shikamaru turned around to look at his friend. "Shut the door before it's too late." Sasuke hissed, already heading for the window. Fugaku stepped forward and pushed past the five-year-old Nara, his eyes sweeping the room.

"Sasuke." He breathed, his gaze landing on his son, who was currently in the process of trying to climb onto the desk under Shikamaru's large window. "Sasuke, it's too late now." Shikamaru sighed, flinching as Shikaku stepped into the room as well, placing his hand on his son's head. The man let out a heavy sigh. "You've got one hell of a story to tell, don't yah?" He mumbled, glancing down at his son, who's posture had gone stiff. "You wouldn't believe me." Shikamaru said, although he had something that, technically, could be considered proof. Scars. His scars, the ones he despised, as well as the memories they brought with them, were about to become his greatest tool. The key to saving the future.

Itachi lifted the trashing Sasuke off the desk, his eyes sad. "Otouto..." He trailed off sorrowfully, forcing the young boy into a hug. Sasuke let out a hiss, tears welling in his eyes. Fugaku felt his heart clench, and he frowned. "Oi, help me." Sasuke hissed, swiping at Shikamaru as though grabbing him would force Itachi to let go. "Oh, yeah, let me just beat up your older brother. Since I, a five year old who actually likes naps, is totally capable of defeating him in a one on one battle." Shikamaru answered with his usual, lazy sarcasm. Shikaku's lips quirked up at the familiarity of it. "Traitor." Sasuke hissed in response as he was carried out the door. 

"I apologize for the trouble, Nara-sama." Fugaku said in a apathetic tone. On the inside, his heart ached, and all he wanted to do was cradle Sasuke in his arms. The reality of the boy's story had sunken in, and it was horrifying. It was a feeling no father should have to feel, no matter how good or how bad of a parent. It was disturbing, and Fugaku was sure he'd only heard the short version. He momentarily wondered if the case would be taken to court. They'd need the Nara's consent, and the Hokage's, as he was the technical legal guardian of Naruto Uzumaki. Well, as far as Fugaku knew anyway. 

"Come, Itachi. We have... we have a lot to work out." Fugaku sighed tiredly, already preparing to take the week off. That's the least he could offer Sasuke. That, and his support. "Sorry, Sasuke..." Shikamaru trailed off quietly, staring at Sasuke with now-watery eyes. Shikaku blinked in surprise at the sudden change in character. "W-Wait, no! Please!" Sasuke pleaded to Itachi, wiggling about in attempts to get back to his friend. Shikamaru regretted opening that door. They should have made a break for the window and tried to find Naruto. That would have been the smart thing to do. 

But they were children now: they weren't supposed to act smart. 

"I'm sorry, Sasuke." Itachi tightened his grip and sped up. Shikamaru watched him go, wondering just how he was going to explain to his parents what had happened without Sasuke there. The thought hadn't occurred to him until it was too late, and now, Sasuke was out of reach. He was five. He couldn't stop a clan head and his prodigy son from taking Sasuke back home, and even if he could, there'd be consequences for his actions. Dire consequences.

"Now, Shikamaru, let's go see your mother." Shikaku spoke softly a few seconds after they heard the front door close, and after Sasuke's screeches of defiance faded off. It had been disturbing to listen too, only setting Shikaku more on edge about the whole ordeal. Shikamaru nodded wordlessly, letting his father take his hand and lead him towards the living room. The Nara boy began to shake, but he didn't try to resist. Not like Sasuke had. It would be futile anyway, with his father's shadow techniques. There was no way Shikamaru would be able to break his hold at this age, and even if he could, it would look all too suspicious. 

~

"Naruto, tell us what happened." The Hokage coaxed softly. Kakashi stood silently next to the Hokage, staring down at the nervous boy. They'd sat him down after around half an hour of discussing what to do with him, and letting him roll down his pile of boxes. But now, it was time to get serious. It was time to figure out what had happened to him, and what "The Cantaloupe Happening" was. Kakashi was very intrigued, and a little fearful. He wasn't sure he wanted to know.

"I... You can't tell nobody! And you can't get Sasuke in trouble." Naruto said in a jittery tone, his eyes darting right and left as though someone were about to jump out at him and scold him for trying to tell. Naruto was clearly terrified, not only for himself, but for his two friends too. "We promise, Naruto." Hiruzen assured, glancing up at Kakashi. The ANBU nodded. "My lips are sealed, Naruto." The silver-haired man assured. Naruto eyed them cautiously, but nodded anyway. 

"I was runnin', and Sasuke and Shikamaru were too." Naruto started, playing with his fingers so he wouldn't have to look at the two adults. Kakashi felt his curiosity peak. Two clan heirs, associating themselves with Naruto was odd enough, but Naruto being in this situation with the two was even odder. "Why were they with you? What time was it?" Hiruzen questioned quickly before Naruto could continue. The blonde jolted slightly "I... I dunno the time. It was really super dark. We were gonna go get some dumplings together, since Shikamaru likes those, and it was his turn t' pick. But we got founded and had t' run away. They were tryna catch us!" Naruto's speech got slightly harder to understand as his words sped up, but they were able to get the gist of it. 

"Hey, calm down, Naruto. It's okay." Kakashi assured in a soothing tone, hoping it would help at least a little. Immediately, Naruto relaxed. Not completely, but enough to where he didn't look like he was about to hyperventilate. "This is some seriously good acting. I didn't think you had it in you, kit." Kurama chuckled, interrupting Naruto's train of thought as he thought over the story Sasuke'd relayed to Kurama. It was an elaborate one, but the fox had explained it well, and in detail. 'Shut up. I'm entering the zone.' Naruto shushed. Kurama only chuckled in response, closing his eyes and letting himself relax. He needed the rest, as he was still very tired from the jutsu he'd done to get them all to the past in the first place.

"What happened next, Naruto?" The Hokage urged in a soft tone. "W-Well, then Sasuke... he tripped. And we had t' stop and help 'im!" Naruto looked up at them with a panicked expression, as though he'd done something wrong. "Of course, Naruto. You should never leave a friend behind." Kakashi assured. Naruto nodded, taking a deep breath of what seemed to be relief. Justifying his actions definitely calmed the boy down, and overall, it was a good tactic to use on children. To coax them into telling you things. It was definitely working.

"Well, then Shikamaru tripped too while we were tryna pull Sasuke up, and I fell over too. And then... it was just... too late." Naruto's eyes became distant, as though he'd gone to another place. The blonde shuddered. "They had us."

Kakashi shivered, glancing down at the grim Hokage who was now leaning forward in his seat. The man had his fists clenched, and his lips pressed together in a firm line. Kakashi shifted his gaze back to Naruto, eyeing the scar on his neck, and the toe he was missing. Something had definitely happened that night. Something bad. "They took us to th' bad part of town. The one where we're not supposed'ta go." Naruto continued, his voice becoming almost dazed in a way. Like he'd fallen into a trance. This was probably the first time he was telling anyone who didn't already know. Tears welled up in his blue eyes, twanging Kakashi and the Hokage's heart strings violently. The Hokage moved to grasp Naruto's hand. The boy flinched, but allowed it.

"They took us to a place. I dunno what it's called. Shikamaru called it a 'night club', but I ain't sure what that is." Naruto blinked rapidly, wiping at his eyes. Kakashi's heart dropped, and by the look on the Hokage's face, his had too. The Hatake gulped. "What club was it?" The Hokage whispered, squeezing Naruto's hand softly and encouragingly. Naruto gazed at his lap, hesitantly raising his sad, horror-stricken eyes to look at them.

"They... They called it 'The Cantaloupe.'"