Chapter 42

Third person pov

The Hokage, Inoichi, Shikamaru, the Lynx ANBU and Kakashi, who was of course in his Inu mask, all looked towards the ceiling when a loud banging noise caught their attention.

"Hurry quieter, you idiot." A muffled voice hissed venomously. Shikamaru, bound to yet another metal chair, winced slightly. It was definitely Sasuke. He felt like maybe he could feel Naruto too, but he wasn't sure. He was never sure anymore. His senses were so jumbled. He wondered if this is how it had always felt as a kid. Or maybe back then he simply hadn't noticed anything at all. Either way, it was quite frustrating.

"I knew they'd come." The Hokage muttered, and Shikamaru's eyes widened in horror. He was a fucking idiot. Of course this would all be a ploy to capture them all! He never should have sent that damn signal out. Now he was not only weak from chakra fatigue, but he'd led his friends right into a trap. He wished they'd gotten some common sense and ran. Rasa probably wasn't far, and he'd let them seek refuge in Suna without a doubt.

There was a clang, and Kakashi stepped back as Naruto and the vent's cover fell to the ground with a loud bang. The blonde boy tumbled across the hard ground as he made contact, cursing as he rolled right into a wall. He hadn't known how to get the cover off from the inside so he just jumped on it the best he could. They turned out to be a lot flimsier than he'd first thought, hence why Ibiki was able to rip one off so easily. They really were cheap. He guessed even the ANBU had a budget.

Sasuke came next, landing somewhat gracefully on two feet. His eyes were cold with anger and irritation that looked out of place on a child. It made the Hokage recoil ever so slightly, and it only peaked the interest of the two ANBU present even more. These kids were an odd case, tangling with criminals and Kage. Even Kakashi wanted to know just what was amiss, especially concerning Naruto. That was his sensei's son after all.

"Fuck, guys." Hidan poked his head in, and the figures of authority froze. There was another?

"Who are you?! State your name!" The Third boomed as Hidan slipped out of the vent, shrieking as he fell. Sasuke scrambled out of the way and towards Naruto, who was struggling with Shikamaru's ropes. Lynx swiped for the Uchiha, who ducked, diving out of the way when Kakashi grabbed at him. Naruto pushed himself to go faster as the ANBU tried to snatch the boy, who seemed slightly panicked.

"God fucking damn that hurt." Hidan complained, sitting up and rubbing his head. The Hokage drew a kunai, his eyes flitting back to his two ANBU, who couldn't seem to grab Sasuke for some reason. Naruto had undone Shikamaru's arms and was working on the legs. The Third supposed it didn't matter. They couldn't get out of this room without a key.

"Don't worry everyone, I brought my keys." The Hokage's head snapped up, and he blanched when he saw his top interrogator, Ibiki Morino, squirming about in the vent trying to get out. The two ANBU paused as well, turning to look at his in shock as he grunted, pushing himself from the vent with all his might. Of all people, the Hokage never would have suspected Ibiki to be in cahoots with these kids! He was one of their most loyal ninja! To... To think he was conspiring with an S-rank criminal and a bunch of suspicious, somewhat crippled children...

Hidan let out a shriek, rolling out of the way as Ibiki fell. The interrogator twisted and landed on his feet with ease, earning a scoff from Hidan. Showoff.

"Ibiki, what is the meaning of this?" The Hokage asked, but quickly shook his head. There was no time. "Seize them!"

"Fuck!" Hidan ducked under a trio of kunai, diving left when Kakashi's sword came down at him. The Hatake twisted, his foot whipping out as he did so. Hidan caught it with relative ease, grabbing the boys leg and turning to flip him over his shoulder. Kakashi caught himself before his head could bang against the ground, his other foot lashing out at Hidan's face. The man dropped the ANBU.

"Take these." Ibiki tossed the keys to the exhausted Shikamaru, who caught them weakly. Lynx looked between the kids and Ibiki, clearly conflicted.

"Get Ibiki. I'll handle the kids." The Hokage said, removing his hat, his brown eyes gleaming.

"Yes, sir!" Lynx lunged at Ibiki.

~

"Y... You're serious?" Gaara was ghostly pale.

"Yes." Orochimaru nodded. "Absolutely positive. I saw it with my own eyes. I've had to lay low. He has colleagues, even now." Orochimaru grimaced, shaking his head slightly. Gaara looked to his father, horrified. Their comrades we're most definitely in danger. They had to get back quick, before it was too late.

"We have to go back." Rasa turned to his guards, his face stony. "Now."