Chapter 23

Third person pov

The Hokage blinked at them slowly.

Naruto had returned grinning brightly, and Ibiki wouldn't stop smirking like he knew something important. Naruto had seemed reluctant to go anywhere with Ibiki at first, but he guessed that it had gone well, because he seemed fine now. Eager, even. The Hokage wasn't sure if he should feel happy for the boy or slightly scared. This was Ibiki they were talking about, after all. And Ibiki was... well, it was Ibiki. He was the head interrogator in the T&I department, and the Third would be surprised if he was the scariest person in the village.

Naruto looked at Ibiki like they shared a secret, his eyes gleaming with unspoken mirth. Something had definitely happened in the short time that they'd been away. It peeked The Third's curiosity, but he didn't dare ask. He wasn't sure why that was, but asking it felt forbidden. Like he wasn't meant to know whatever was going on here. He was always one to go with his gut.

"So, Naruto; I take it that you liked Ibiki here." The Hokage let his lips quirk up, and he gestured to the tall, intimidating man. He should be happy that Naruto found someone, right? It's just... out of all the people that he could have ended up with, why'd it have to be Ibiki? Hiruzen trusted Ibiki greatly, and had no qualms as to where his loyalty lied. But was Ibiki really suitable guardian material? He would have preferred someone else, someone who wasn't Ibiki. Anyone who wasn't Ibiki, actually.

"Eh, I guess he's okay." Naruto grinned in a joking manner, and for once the smile seemed genuine. Ibiki shot a glare down at the blonde, who was unfazed by the look. "What's that supposed to mean, you brat?" He asked, his voice gruff. The Hokage looked between the two. Naruto seemed comfortable around him, but Ibiki was just so... harsh. He didn't like it. "It means you looked like a baked potato. Believe it." Naruto ducked under a punch thrown at the top of his head, grinning wildly. Ibiki just grumbled vulgarities under his breath.

The Hokage, although he was beginning to regret considering this an option at all, let his official stamp fall onto the adoption papers.

~

Sasuke sat at his kitchen table, bored out of his mind. His mother and father sat across from him, staring at him in what seemed like an almost polite manner. As though if they did anything but that, he'd break. Sasuke didn't like the looks he was getting from the two. He understood why he was getting looks full of pity, regret and sorrow, but he still hated it. It reminded him of when his clan was first killed in the last timeline. The looks he received, from the people who really didn't care about him. The faux comfort he received from people with alternate motives.

"Sasuke, dear, are you alright?" Mikoto checked for the fourth time that day. The Uchiha blinked at her, looking down. He supposed now would be a good time to tell them that he did indeed have "the" eyes. The rare ones that almost nobody had, and that were a clear sign of the famed "curse of hatred." He knew this would make things tighter in his clan, and things would immediately become a lot harder for him. He wouldn't be able to leave the compound as easily, or meet his two friends, Shikamaru and Naruto.

He proceeded nonetheless.

"I have them." Sasuke kept his head ducked, trying his best to appear ashamed. His father quirked a brow at him curiously. Mikoto shifted in her seat. Sasuke risked a glance up at them. They looked a bit confused. It hadn't clicked for them yet. Sasuke firmly confirmed: "I... have the eyes."

Fugaku went rigid, and Mikoto sucked in a sharp breath of air.

And then, all at once, Sasuke regretted his decision.

~

"Here." Shikamaru hissed, shoving the plate of food under the bed for the rather done looking Hidan. He had rolled onto his side, appearing to be as annoyed as ever. Shikamaru couldn't blame him. He'd come back in time, he was trying to do a good thing, but all he'd gotten so far was kicked under a bed. Like he was a stray dog that Shikamaru was desperately trying to hide from his mother and father.

"Fuck yeah, food!" Hidan exclaimed, doing his best not to be too loud as he slid out from under Shikamaru's bed with obvious anticipation. The young Nara rolled his eyes at the man, scooting back and watching as the ex-Jashinist dug into his meal with zero hesitation. Shikamaru had eaten and all, but his mom was absolutely overjoyed to give him seconds, and didn't even care when he chose to eat the extra meal in his room. Just the fact that he was "eating" more was enough to overjoy her.

"Twis is gwood as fwuck." Hidan said through a mouthful of eggs and bacon, his magenta eyes shining. He hadn't had a home cooked meal since Itachi let him have an omelette he made. And the omelette had been good and all, but it was overloaded with tomatoes. Itachi didn't even like tomatoes that much! Hidan supposed it really didn't matter anymore. That was all in the past... future. Hidan wasn't sure what to call it anymore.

"We need to take you to Naruto." Shikamaru yawned, rubbing his tired eyes. Hidan shrugged, but nodded in agreement to appease his host. He didn't care. He just didn't want to be useless. Plus, if helping meant he got free food out of it, he was all hands on deck. This breakfast stuff was some good shit. He needed to get himself a damn mom, then he could have unlimited breakfast and actual, real love. That'd be real nice.

"Shikamaru, did you want some juice with-" Yoshino paused, staring directly through the half-open door at Hidan. He froze too, his mouth full of sausage, bacon and possibly some egg. Shikamaru's heart sunk. Of course he hadn't locked the door! Why would he have locked the door?! It's not like, you know, it was a smart idea or anything. Noooo, not at all.

Shikamaru swallowed heavily, looking between his still mother and the slightly-panicked Hidan, who was frantically trying to chew his food so he could speak. Shikamaru beat him to it, making a guess, and taking a chance.

"This is Hidan. He helped save us."