Chapter 26

Third person pov

"Leave him alone." Shikamaru hissed at Ibiki, standing in front of the shell-shocked Hidan with his arms out, as though his small child body could actually block the Ex-Jashinist from view. Ibiki scratched the top of his head through his headband. Shikamaru's gaze was full of fire and determination. The little Nara would stop at nothing to protect the criminal behind him. To stop him from being captured.

"I'll take him. You have therapy, brat." Ibiki's words gave Shikamaru a pause. The man-turned-boy looked at Ibiki with a gaze that was far too calculating for a child. The interrogator smirked, his thoughts confirmed. He already knew Shikamaru was from the past, but now it was finalized. Confirmed before his very eyes. He'd always been a man who liked his information to be solid.

"Hey, Shikamaru!" Naruto popped out from behind the mountain of a man, grinning wider than Shikamaru had ever seen him grin. It was a shit-eating grin. He'd done something, or found something. Shikamaru guessed that something was probably Ibiki. "Ibiki can take Hidan, believe it! Come on! Before we're late."

Shikamaru really wasn't sure what to do in this situation. Naruto was with Ibiki, and Naruto was trustworthy. But they hadn't really... known Ibiki. He was head of T&I, and he proctored the first part of their very first chunin exams. He was exceptional at what he did, and that's what made Shikamaru hesitate. Even if Hidan's values had changed, Ibiki didn't know that. Who knows if he'd understand the way Shikamaru did.

"I won't arrest him or interrogate him, brat." Ibiki rolled his eyes at the accusing glare being sent his way. Hidan risked a peek down at Shikamaru, but ultimately, his eyes stayed trained in Ibiki's general direction. They had ducked into an alley to avoid Shikaku Nara, but who knows how long that would last. Lacking the ability to shield his chakra, Shikamaru would surely be a beacon to his father.

"...Fine." Shikamaru turned to Hidan. "Don't be troublesome. This is already a drag. Stay with Ibiki, do what he says, etc, etc."

"I've... I've got it, you little shit." Hidan took a deep breath, offering a firm nod. He used to be a fearless man. With immortality on his side, and a careless demeanor coupled with his lack of care for his actions, he was unstoppable. Free of fear and overall consideration for what he did. But now things were different. He wasn't sure if he was immortal or not, and he was scared. He wanted to see a change in himself and in the world, and to him, that was new.

"Come on, hurry! Sasuke is probably there already." Naruto urged. Shikamaru jolted out of his slight-haze, blinking rapidly. He looked away from Hidan, darting after Naruto, who had already turned the corner. The Nara reveled in the fact that he was able to be close to Naruto for once. Their time together, recently, had been extremely limited. Shikamaru didn't like that. He needed to discuss plans with them.

~

"Why don't you start by telling me about yourselves." Inoichi gave the three a warm smile. The children in front of him were on edge. He had to approach the issue slowly, instead of deviling straight into it like he might with other patients. But these... these were just kids. One of them was the son of his teammate, and one of his best friend's. Knowing what had happened to them, why they were here... it was horrifying. It made him worry for Ino.

"I'm Naruto, this is Sasuke and that's Shikamaru. Sasuke likes tomatoes, Shikamaru likes sleep and I like ramen. I was just adopted, Sasuke is basically on house arrest and Shikamaru just ran away from his father who doesn't know he's here." Naruto yawned slightly. He wondered what Ibiki was doing right now. He was either hiding Hidan or beating him up, it was really hard to guess. He hoped it wasn't the latter. 

"Ah... do we need to call Shikaku..." Inoichi trailed off, swallowing heavily. He hadn't really expected Naruto to be the leader of the trio, but he supposed it sort of made sense. He would be the strongest, having been raised the way he was thus far. The Hokage had informed him of everything that had happened. Even before what the children were calling the "Cantaloupe Happening," he'd been through a lot. He'd almost died, for God's sake! 

"No, no that's okay." Shikamaru said quickly. Naruto elbowed the Nara slightly, a tight smile on his face. The three boys were squished onto the two seater couch, Naruto in the middle. Itachi was waiting in the lobby for them, Inoichi knew. He wasn't sure who was here for Shikamaru and Naruto. He hadn't seen anyone come in with them. Surely they hadn't been allowed to wander around on their own.

"So Naruto," Inoichi smiled, deciding to change the subject to something... lighter, "who adopted you?"

"Ibiki Morino." The blonde's words gained a questioning look from Sasuke. Shikamaru laughed a nervous laugh, leaning out to look at the Uchiha. "Hidan too." The Nara coughed slightly into his fist as Sasuke's eyebrows raised. "I know it's... uh, surprising, but... yeah." 

"Care to include me?" Inoichi laughed slightly. The three gave him the stink eye, like he was intruding on something secret. Based on their quiet tones, he probably was. He knew the name Hidan well from working in the T&I department, but the name could belong to anyone really. In his clan, names were often repeated after a few generations. 

"Shikamaru!" The door slammed open to reveal a panting Shikaku.

Inoichi could only sigh.