Chpt 14: "I'll send her hipster grandparents to haunt you"

Devin's P.O.V

"You and Anna deserve a cringe sass award." Brad laughs.

"What? Otherwise he won't go away." Ayla defends.

"Speaking of Tanner, who won?" I ask and look at Anna.

"The timer stopped at 11 minutes and 12 second so Brad won." Anna answers.

"Dammit." Jace mutters. Apparently the guy didn't realize until now that he lost.

"Heeeeey Jace." Brad smirks.

Jace sighs in respond. "What do you want?" He asks defeated.

"You can pay my dinner next time we go out." Brad states.

"Fine." Jace says shortly.

We keep walking according to the plan I set out. I wanted a plan because as Anna said, we don't have much time before our 'leaving in advance plan' won't be so 'leaving in advance' anymore.

We lost each other the first time after 5 minutes. I don't even know how! We were walking side by side and I was looking at a zoned out Anna. Since she's normally so on guard it was fun seeing her not overanalyzing her surroundings, cute even. Jace and I were walking at her left side and Brad and Ayla at her right. We approached a crowd and somehow lost each other. It took us 20 minutes to get back together.

We're already dealing with a shitload of people we don't want to see, we can't really handle more trouble like losing each other, so I figured out a plan. As for what Anna said, it's true I never come up with a plan, but it isn't that miraculous. Right?

"Isn't this the part were Anna breaks the silence to fill us in about her gut feelings?" I joke and earn a shove from Anna.

"It's the same gut feeling as earlier so there's no point in telling." She responds.

"It wouldn't have been the first time you repeated them." I counter with a knowing smirk.

"Shut up." She mutters and I laugh.

"I'm just messing with you." I chuckle and a smile creeps onto her face. "I know." She softly replies.

I swear I saw our friends give us a 'look' out of the corner of my eye. I couldn't decipher what it meant though. I ignored it and we continued walking. We pass a building with a few guards on break standing near.

"Anna?" An elderly voice questions. Anna turns to look at the owner of the voice and a flash of recognition and acknowledgement goes through her eyes.

"Gordon!" She exclaims and walks up to the man. It takes me and Jace a few seconds but then it hit us. Gordon was the cook in the Preston household, also known as the good guy in Anna's stories.

"How have you've been holding up?" She asks.

"Very well. Except from the fact I suddenly had to be a guard since Sir didn't feel like hiring any more new people." He answers. "And you."

"Amazing aside from the encounters with my cousin. Thanks for everything again." She says grateful. Gordon played a big role in the 'Get the fuck out' mission.

"It was nothing pumpkin." He says. "I didn't expect you going to one of Sir's events."

"Me neither and I didn't check the host until a few moments ago." She says with a tone laced with embarrassment.

"Did you know young Sir is attending too, he looked quite beaten up when I saw him."

"Oh he made his presence known and we might have been the ones responsible for his injuries." Anna answers a bit hesitant.