Chapter 12 - Deserve Better

Violet Ashlock

"Here you go honey.." My mom brought me a corn soup and I smiled.

"Thanks mom."

"Are you sure that you don't need to go to the hospital? It's been a week."

"I'm fine, mom. I'm getting better."

"How come your boyfriend never come here to check on you?" My mom hissed and that's right. Austin never come to check on me. He only called for a couple minutes and it was like 3 days ago. He never care about me. It's crazy..

"We video call a lot, mom." I lied.

"At least, he needs to spare time for you."

"He's busy mom and I have to understand that." I smiled weakly and scooped a spoon of the soup.

"Mom.. this is the best." I pointed at the soup and she smiled.

"I'll make it again if you want to."

"I want it.. please." I said and she nodded.

"Have a lot of rest and don't think about work for awhile okay? You're overwork yourself.. Me and your dad already back in the field."

"Sorry mom."

"You don't need to apologize." She smiled and held my hand.

"Mom.." I called her and she raised her eyebrows.

"Me and Austin will get married in 2 months." I stated and she raised her eyebrows. Her eyes fell to my left hand.

"Are you sure? Did he propose?"

"I'm sure mom.. I love him."

"Did he propose?"

"He did, mom. You know me.. I will never ask that to him first right?" I smiled widely to hide my lies. Everything that happen between me and Austin is all the opposite because I'm the one who fell in love with him not him with me.

"Right.. You're not that type of girl but where is the ring?"

"He's not romantic, mom. He popped out the question when we're eating dinner together and he gave me this instead of ring." I bought a new necklace as a reason if my parents ask.

"It's beautiful." She looked at the necklace and I smiled.

"I know right.."

"Well.. Are you happy?" She suddenly asked and I looked at her completely confuse.

"What kind of question is that mom? Of course I'm happy, I'm marrying the love of my life." I chuckled a little.

"But I never see that you genuinely happy." She said and she was right. I know that she's right.

"Mom.. I'm so happy."

"Well.. as long as you're happy.. I guess I'm okay." She said and I nodded. Not long after that she left to work. I decided to go to the hospital by myself because to be honest.. It's getting worse at night.

I walked into the hospital and looked around to find the place to take queue number.

"Violet?" I turned to the side to see Marcus again.

"Hey.." I smiled weakly.

"Where's Austin?" He asked.

"He's working"

"You still look pale, come.. I'll check on you."

"But I have to queue, it's not fair fo-"

"I'm on my break so it's okay.." He smiled and he held my arm. He brought me to his place. He asked me to lay down.

"Still getting high fever?"

"Yeah.. at night."

"Did you drink a lot of water?"

"Yes, warm water."

"A lot of sleep?" He asked as he checked on me.

"Yeah."

"You're stressing about something, aren't you Violet?" He asked as he's done checking me. I sat up and leaned my body to the wall.

"I'm getting married, maybe that's why.."

"You're getting married?" He asked in a disbelief tone.

"What's with that tone?" I chuckled and he sat in front of me.

"With Austin?"

"Who else?"

"Nothing.."

"So you're free now?" I asked and he nodded.

"I'm going to have lunch, wanna join me?"

"Sure, can we eat something warm?" I asked and he smiled nodding.

"I know the best place for that, I think you will like it." He said.

"Well show me the way, doctor." He opened the door and gestured me to go first. I walked out from the room and waited for him. We walked side by side and talked. I asked him why he's in Miami at that time and he was having his break with his family there.

"Are you a mind reader or something? I've been wanting pho noddle since forever." I said and he chuckled.

"Well.. I guess I'm lucky to guess it." He said and we walked in. We ordered the food and sat down on the corner of the restaurant.

"Here you go.. you have to eat this after you eat the noodles." He smiled widely and I took the medicine.

"Thankyou, Marcus."

"Welcome.. Still staying at Austin's place?" He asked and I shook my head.

"He's busy and I stayed at my house."

"Well he should make time and take care of you."

"I have to understand him once in a while.." I smiled weakly.

"No ring?" He asked and I took out the necklace.

"Oh." He said and I nodded. After that, we continued to talk and eat. It's really nice to talk with him because he's a smart guy and just fun to be with. He joked a lot and he's like a stress relieving pill right now.

"Thankyou for checking on me and pay for the food, Marcus."

"You're welcome, you can come by anytime. I'll cheer you up." He said and I smiled nodding.

"Can I have your phone number?" He asked as he gave me his phone. I nodded and put my phone number in.

"You know.. Violet.. I'm sorry if this will make you sad but.. You deserve more." I looked at him.

"I know, Marcus. I know.." I smiled and patted his arm.

"You're hurting yourself.." He added.

"I'm happy, Marcus." I said and he sighed.

"You know you can come to me if something happens."

"Note that." I smiled and I waved at him. I walked out from the hospital and sighed.

I do deserve better..