Chapter 8: Complications

I stared at the tattoo one moment longer before lowering my hand. "What are you looking at?" Elena asked. "What do you mean? You don't see it?" Caroline asked. Elena shook her head. "I don't see anything either," Bonnie confessed. "Wait, vampires are dead right?" Everyone nodded. "So, what if only the dead can see the tattoo?" I asked. "It is possible," Rebekah said after a few moments. "Okay, well, it is getting late. I need to go to bed." I said quickly and headed upstairs to my bedroom. I changed into pajamas and looked at the picture of me and my parents on my nightstand. It was taken before they died. They were hit with a drunk driver and were killed instantly.

Two doctors came up to me and looked at me with sad eyes. "Your parents did not make it. I am sorry." The girl with blue eyes and blonde hair said. I was fourteen years old. I looked up at them with tears streaming rapidly down my face. "No!" I screamed and ran out of the hospital. I somehow found myself up on top of the roof, wanting to be alone. "Where is she?" A voice from below hissed. I looked down and saw a man with curly, blonde hair and blue eyes arguing with a doctor. "I don't know! She just ran out." The doctor said. "Well, find her," he hissed and the doctor looked up, obviously trying to avoid his eyes. She looked up onto the roof where I was.

"There she is," The doctor said and disappeared back inside. The man looked up and smirked before suddenly appearing before me. "Is your name Destiny Gilbert?" he questioned and I stuttered out, "Y-yes." He smiled. "Perfect. Love, I want you to come closer." He said and I tried to calm my rapidly beating heart. "Do not be afraid," The man said, looking deeply into my eyes. "Are you trying to compel me?" I asked suddenly and his eyebrows shot up in surprise. 

"You know about vampires?" he asked and I nodded. He smiled. "Then allow me to introduce myself to you. I am Niklaus Mikaelson." He lifted my hand to his lips and lightly brushed his lips across the top of them. "Destiny Nicole Gilbert," I greeted.

I frowned at the sad memory. I pulled out my guitar and started singing and playing a song I wrote after their death. I didn't realize I was crying by the end of the song until I heard the tears drop onto my guitar. I set my guitar back into its case and climbed into bed. I cried for the first time since they died over them. It was my job to be strong for Elena and Jeremy. With that thought, a new memory filtered through my mind. It was one of the dreaded funeral.

I tugged on the end of my black dress as I stood in front of the caskets of my parents. They looked peaceful, yet without life. I silently stared at their faces, fighting not to cry. I started sinking my nails into the palms of my hands. I couldn't lose it in front of everyone. Elena and Jeremy were there and I stood beside them somberly, taking everything in. I will not cry, I thought. I couldn't take it anymore. "Excuse me," I said to Elena and fled from the scene. I punched a tree as I ran through the woods in my good dress. I took off my heels and ran blindly through the forest. I pushed my hair behind my ears, taking deep breaths.

"Love?" I heard and turned around and saw Niklaus standing there in a suit. I smiled weakly at him and he came over to hug me. "It's okay to cry," he said soothingly. I shook my head. "No, because I am weak if I cry. If I cry, I will lose it and not go back. I need to stay strong," I said, my voice hoarse from my unshed tears. "Just let it go," he whispered. I shook my head. Stay strong, Destiny, I told myself. 

I got up and turned off my light. I climbed back into bed and prayed that I wouldn't dream anything. And I didn't.

*_*_*

Outfit: polyvore.com/destiny/template?id=742846

I woke up and sighed. I had to go to school today. I got out of bed and got dressed. I applied what little makeup I wore and curled my hair. I walked downstairs and grabbed my keys off of the counter. "El, I'm leaving if you want a ride!" I called out. "I'm catching a ride with Bonnie!" She called downstairs. I shrugged my shoulders and left. I climbed into my car and started it, backing out of the driveway and heading to the school. I got out of my car and felt everyone's eyes on me. I grabbed my purse and started walking into the school.