Chapter 16: On the Run

I burst into the hotel room and yelled, "Kol's here. We need to go. He's probably already called Klaus. I don't know how much time we have before he shows up here." I quickly changed into black leather pants, a red satin bustier, and red heels. I kept the jacket on with the knife and grabbed my one bag, starting for the door when I heard the sound of keys outside my door. I pointed to the window and Lawrence nodded, pushing Greyson in that direction. This was the closest Klaus, or any of his siblings, had ever come to finding me since I left.

I was not blind. I knew my sister and the Scooby Doo gang were looking for me, tracking my every move. I always covered my tracks, but apparently it wasn't enough this time because Klaus's freaking brother was in New York City and he just had to see me. No matter. I would get out of this. I always do. I slung the bag over my shoulder and I watched as Lawrence and Greyson jumped out the window. I looked at the jiggling door once more before jumping out the window just as the door burst open.

We landed on our feet, me somehow, and ran for my car which was parked across the street. I flung the door open and jumped inside, throwing my bag in the backseat as Lawrence threw Greyson in the backseat and he jumped in the passenger side. I turned the car on and sped out of the Big Apple, hoping that no one was following.

***

They had finished investigating and came up with nothing. How could someone be human, well, mostly human, and not leave prints or anything? Klaus sighed as they all reached his car, intending to return to Mystic Falls, when his phone rang. He looked down at the caller I.D. and saw his little brother's name appearing. It rang once more before he answered it. "What is it little brother?" he answered as they all piled into his car. "I found her. She's in New York City." Klaus smiled.

Not as slick now, are you, Little Gilbert? Klaus thought with a triumphant smirk plastered onto his face. He would see his Little Gilbert again. "On my way," Klaus said and hung up the phone. "What is it?" Elena asked as Klaus turned the car around and started heading up to New York. "Kol saw her. She's in the Big Apple." He glanced behind him and saw Elena smiled at finally finding her cousin.

***

I was going thirty above the speed limit and weaving in and out of traffic. I had finally exited the city and was one state over. I was back in Virginia. It was risky, but I doubt they would catch me. After all, they were on their way to New York. I sped up and passed the one-horse town where I picked up Greyson. I passed that city's limits within minutes. I started coming up to Mystic Falls' city limits and I started to slow down. "You're coming home?" Lawrence asked, surprised. 

I nodded my head as I pulled into the driveway of my house where I lived two months ago. It was only two months, but it felt like two years. I started to get out and Lawrence followed, grabbing my bag and Greyson. "Come in, Greyson," I called over my shoulder as Lawrence stepped inside with Greyson. "Bring him up to my room," I said as I started to climb the stairs. I flung open my door and saw nothing had changed. I set my bag down along with my guitar case as Greyson was sat on the bed.

"Cuffs," I said as I pointed to the headboard. Lawrence handcuffed the young vampire to the bed. I turned to Greyson and sat beside him on the bed. "Does this mean I am free? Can I have my knife?" Lawrence questioned. I sighed, turning towards him. "You can leave, but you won't get your knife back until I find the person that killed my parents." Lawrence sighed before jumping down the stairs and heading out the door. His car was still in the woods where we left it so I imagined he went to fetch it.

I got closer to Greyson and he tensed. "Relax. I just want to know who Drake is. Tell me." He reluctantly looked up at me. "Destiny? Destiny Gilbert?" I crept closer, leaning over him. "Uh huh?" He smiled before hissing, "Rot in hell." I smiled and slapped him, hard. He glared at me and I took a hold of his temples with my hands. "You see, I was going to do this a nicer way than you were used to,but since you pissed me off, it is going to be a hell of a lot worse." I spat as I forced myself into his mind.

He screamed in pain as I sifted through his memories, looking for the locked one. I found it further back in his mind than before and I once again tried to open it. He screamed louder, tears streaming down his cheeks. I continued to work at the lock, trying to find a way to unlock it. Suddenly a message appeared in big letters across his mind. 

If you wish to seek the unlocking of this lock, you must seek its maker, Drake Vander.

I pulled my hands away from his temples and stepped away from him, breathing in deep breaths. That took a lot out of me. "Greyson, by any chance, is that guy's name Drake Vander?" Greyson's eyes widened. I smiled triumphantly. "Now, you can't hold anything over me. So, what to do now...Do I kill you now or let you live, but never leave until I know that memory? Hmm..." I tapped my finger against my chin thoughtfully.

"I would rather die a thousand times over then spend another second with you," He hissed and I smiled sadistically. "You see, I was hoping you would say that. You are going to live and stay with me until I unlock that memory and all of your dirty little secrets spill. What could you be hiding, I wonder? It will all come out soon enough." I laughed sadistically and Greyson cringed, looking away.

"Destiny?" Someone called from the doorway. I turned towards the door and saw Elena standing there open-mouthed. I scratched my head awkwardly. "Uh, hi, Elena..."