Chapter 23: Waking Up

"Is she going on wake up?"

"Yes, but I do not know when."

"Did she ever tell you about this knife dude?"

"No, nothing. I knew nothing,"

"What happened to the Mark he gave her?"

"A few minutes after he left, it healed itself, leaving the 'D' behind; It kind of reminds me of a tattoo."

The voices of several people filtered into my brain. My gaze was blurry and unfocused, as if I had been crying, as I tried to make myself wake up. I squeezed my eyes shut tight, and reopened them. Damon, Bonnie, Elena, and Jeremy were talking over in the corner of what looked like a room in Mystic Falls Hospital. I heard a sharp intake of breath from my right side, so I glanced over. Klaus held my right hand in his, and he was staring at me with relief. Tears glistened his eyes; his eyes were puffy and red, as if he spent a long time crying. 

"Hey," I croaked softly, stroking his hand with my thumb. "Destiny," he breathed. Everyone that had been talking before became silent. Suddenly I was crushed into a tight embrace. "Can't...breathe..." I choked out. Elena pulled back before crushing me in another hug. "Are you yourself again? Or are you the crazy lunatic after the person who killed your parents?" She questioned. I laughed softly. "Don't worry, El; I think I have more thing to worry about."

She smiled before hugging me again. "Actually, it seems like you weren't looking for him; he was looking for you." Stefan spoke as he came into the room. "What do you mean?" I furrowed my eyebrows. "He keeps asking to see you; he is in the waiting room." Bonnie pushed Elena out of the way, and helped me to sit up. I smiled at her gratefully.

"Do you know what he wants with me?" I asked.

"No, but I have some theories." Stefan said.

"Which are...?" Elena prompted.

Klaus began stroking my knuckles. 

"Well, he could want you to leave with him, though I don't have much confidence  in that one. Or he could want to turn everyone against you."

"Yeah, right," Elena muttered.

"Or..."

"Or...?" Damon prompted.

Stefan sighed. "Or he could want to kill you. That actually seems like the most plausible one."

"Okay..." I said, feeling Klaus tense up beside me.

I turned toward him and saw his jaw was clenched; his body was rigid with tension. "He. Will. Not. Kill. You." Klaus clenched his teeth as every word was pronounced clearly. "Don't worry about me. I have a Hybrid, a Witch, a Doppelganger, and several vampires on my side. Not to mention I have powers."

"And me," Jeremy piped up.

"He can't touch me," I whispered, reaching out to stroke Klaus's jaw. He nodded, melting into my touch. Everyone cleared their throats awkwardly. "Sorry," I apologized, blushing madly. Klaus grinned, pushing me to the other side of the hospital bed. I complied silently as he climbed in beside me, pulling me tightly to his side. He wrapped his arm around my shoulder, beaming. "Oh, no she isn't."

"Hey, Jer," I greeted with a smile. He smiled back. "So, you finally announced your presence to everyone, I see." He nodded. "Wait, you knew?" Elena asked. I looked at the wall, away from her piercing gaze. "Uh, maybe?" She huffed before going to stand at Damon's side. Did they get together while I was unconscious? I wondered before shifting my gaze to Stefan's pained eyes. I shot him a sympathetic smile. He nodded in response. I need to play matchmaker and get him together with someone. Maybe Bekah...I thought.

"Where's Rebekah?" I asked Klaus. "She is..." "Right here." A voice answered from the doorway, grinning from ear to ear. "What did you do now? You look like a cat that just ate a canary." She shot me a mischievous look before thrusting a shopping bag at me. "I got you new clothes. And a dress for the school dance that is tonight." Everyone in the room groaned.

"What? I have never attended one, so hush up!" Stefan glanced at her before diverting his gaze. He likes her, I realized. But does she like him? "Now," Rebekah spoke, "Everyone out. She needs to change and get out of this place. And yes, that also includes you, Nik." He had started to protest, opening his mouth. "I mean, it isn't anything  haven't seen before-" He started to say when everyone groaned, covering their ears as they fled from the room. "Out," Rebekah ordered, holding the door open. He sighed before starting to go out. "Ill be right out here, love," He called over his shoulder as he and Rebekah exited the room.

I sighed before looking into the white shopping bag. I pulled out a a dip-dyed vintage blue sweater, a black spaghetti strap tank top, white converse, a deep blue heart necklace, a bright blue bracelet with a wolf and forever sign on it, and blue flower earrings. My makeup bag and curling iron was even in there. I smiled, and slipped on all of the clothes, putting on all of the jewelry as well. I stroked the wolf, smiling as I thought of Klaus. I put on my makeup and curled the ends of my hair before pulling it up into a ponytail.

I walked out of the room. Klaus was not there. That's strange...I thought as I pulled the door closed behind me. "Nik?" I called out hesitantly. "He's a bit busy now, sweetheart." A voice behind me spoke. My entire body froze up. I slowly turned around to face the man who I had been hunting for months. He grinned deviously at me. "Destiny, darling. You are finally alone." My nightmare just came to life. The man who killed my parents is standing in front of me. And I am pretty sure he wants to kill me too. He grinned broadly before lunging for me.