Chapter 22: The Marks

"What?" Klaus asked as he walked into the room. "Yeah, that guy that killed Destiny's parents is in town. My guess is he wants her dead, too," Damon said. "What was he asking?" I asked. "Things like where you live, what family you have, what you have been doing, that kind of thing. Oh, and he asked what scar you had at the back of your neck." I instinctively traced the scar on the back of my neck. It was jagged and shaped into a 'D'. "I, of course, told him that you don't have a scar on the back of your neck," Elena went on. "Yeah, well, then you lied." I said as I removed my hand from my neck. "What? You do have one?" Elena asked.

I nodded my head. "Yeah, he Marked me before he left after killing my parents." I rubbed the scar, cringing every time I felt it. "Can we see it?" Damon asked. "Uh, yeah. Sure," I bit my lip as I moved my hair away from my neck and swept it to the side, turning so that they could see it. "Elena touched it, causing me to draw in a sharp breath. "How long ago was this?" Damon wondered aloud. "Well, the first time was when my parents died." I put my hair back in place, obscuring the scar from view. "Wait, what do you mean by the first time?" Klaus asked. I shrugged my shoulders and avoided his gaze. "Love, this could be important." I met his gaze and sighed, moving to sit on one of the couches. Klaus sat beside me, and Elena and Damon sat across from me on the other brown leather couch. 

"Well, ever since then he comes back once a year with the same jagged knife to Mark me. Why do you think I have been running? I piss a lot of people off. I was running from Lawrence at one time. I was running from you, Klaus, at one time, though short lived, it was. I have ran from many more people. I just have a way of severely pissing people off. It is a talent of mine." I grinned playfully at Klaus. He cracked a smile before becoming serious once more. "Are you going to run again?" I shook my head. "The one time I ran, he found me and dug the knife in two inches deeper when carving the 'D'. Running would only make matters worse."

"Two inches deeper? Where is this one?" Elena asked.  I rose up, lift ed my shirt slightly up, and turned around, exposing my lower back. There was a red and swollen 'D' on my lower back. "Oh, my God, Destiny," Elena whispered as she covered her horror-filled mouth with her hand. I turned around and let Klaus see the Mark. "I am going to kill him," he seethed. "You can't kill him." I said.

"And why not?" He asked as I pulled my shirt down and sat down beside him. "Because he is Immortal." Damon's eyes were wide and staring. "Your parents were killed by one of the Immortals?" I shrugged my shoulders. "Yeah, pretty much." Elena glanced between us all. "Wait, what is an Immortal?" I leaned back, but quickly sat up as the Marks in my back began to ache. "They are pretty much the oldest people in the history of time. They have the abilities of all Supernaturals. They are human, though, and can never die. There is an entire clan of them. It is officially called the Clan of Immortal Beings, but we always just call them the Immortals." Klaus said. All of the Marks on my body began pulsing in rhythm. Oh, no, I thought as they began to pump pain all throughout my body.

"And why did they go after Destiny's parents?" Damon asked. "Your guess is about as good as mine." Klaus shrugged. I sucked in a deep pain as my entire body erupted in pain. Klaus looked over at me and saw my grimace of pain. "What's wrong?" I shakily stood up, leaning on the wall for support. "He is here," I whispered. "What? How do you know?" Elena asked as fear held her features hostage. "All of my Marks pulse pain throughout my entire body when he is near. When he is a few feet from me, I will be completely paralyzed, allowing him to draw another Mark on me."

My body collapsed, but before I could hit the ground, Klaus caught me. I could feel nothing, nothing at all. "Hello, my darling. Did you miss me?" Drake smirked as he walked into the room. "Stay away from her, mate, if you know what is good for you," Klaus growled as he clutched me to his chest. A dark look passed over Drake's features. "You will hand her over to me, mate, if you know what is good for you, her, and everyone she loves." He stood only two feet from me, Klaus, Elena, and Damon.

I heard Elena gasp in fear, and Damon hiss in a breath, the only sign I could tell that he was showing fear. I barely could croak out the words, "It...is...okay...Nik." Klaus shook his head at me. "Let...me...go." He flashed me one last look of anguish before wordlessly handing me over to Drake. He clutched me in his arms and pulled that same jagged, rusty knife out of the pocket of his leather jacket. He turned me in his arms and pulled my shirt up, exposing my stomach. There were no scars there. 

He flashed me a wicked smile before jabbing that knife into my stomach, right in the middle. I sucked in a breath of pain. He started dragging it around until there was a mid-sized 'D' in the middle of my stomach. He kissed the Mark and brought me back over to Klaus. "She's all yours, Niklaus Mikaelson," he said with a smirk before walking out the door with a confident stride. I began to gain feeling back in my limbs. "Oh, God, Destiny," Klaus whispered. "I love you, Nik," I whispered just before darkness claimed me.