Chapter 26: Love Is On The Horizon

"Can you hear anything?" Bonnie asked Damon who had his ears perked up, trying to listen in. "Nothing. It's like running into a wall. I can't hear anything." Damon frowned, turning to go to the coffee table to get a glass, and pour it to the brim with bourbon. Klaus sat up straighter as he heard a door open, and Destiny and Acacia start to descend the stairs. He was surprised to see Destiny's arms around Acacia's shaking shoulders. He narrowed his eyes. Destiny looked up to meet everyone's questioning gazes. "We can trust her."

Klaus just narrowed his eyes further.

***

"Let's get you to the couch, Cace." Acacia nodded, sniffling. I sat her down, and headed over to Klaus. "Can we talk?" I whispered. He got up, following me as I exited the boarding house. "So, you think we can trust her?" He asked, leaning against his car that was parked in the driveway.  I leaned on the car beside of him. "Yes, I do. She told me what he did to her. I know that I can trust her." I looked down, picking at a piece of peeling paint. "But you do not."

He looked up at me. "I do not trust her. You can trust her all you want, but until she proves herself to me, I will never let you be alone with her." I looked up at him sharply. "How can you say that after what she said? I assume you were listening in." Klaus placed a hand on my shoulder.

"That's the thing, Destiny. I couldn't hear what she said. It was like running into a wall, like you with memories, which seem to be your specialty. Damon tried with the same result. Why would you try to block it?"

I furrowed my brows. "But I didn't try to block anything. All I was doing was listening to her."

"So, if you didn't do it, she had to of done it, right?"

"I guess, but I wasn't aware of the sort of powers she possessed other than the power of Disguise, allowing her to take form of anyone she has met."

"Well, then that seals it. I cannot trust your sister. And you will never be alone with her."

"You can't tell me what to do, Nik."

"When it comes to your safety, yes I can."

I looked over at him. "Don't try to control me."

He placed a hand over my clenched ones. "I am protecting you. I just don't want you getting hurt or worse. Did you try to get a read on her mind?" I looked down, shaking my head. "My powers were the least of my concern at that moment. I was just going to listen to her. And if she does have powers, she will be able to block me anyway, so what's the point?" My fingers began to shake. "The point is that if you do run into a wall, you will know not to trust her." Klaus began to stroke my hair.

I nodded, looking down, allowing it to fall into my eyes, obscuring him from view. He pushed it back, tilting my face up, so I would look at him. "I am just looking out for you." I nodded. "But why would you care?" He cupped my face in his palms. "Because I love you." I opened my mouth to respond when his lips met mine.

***

Everyone awkwardly stared at walls, the furniture, and everywhere but at Acacia. "Well, I am going to the Grill. I need a drink," Damon announced, exiting out the front door. No one really wanted to remind him that he had drinks here. "Bonnie, you want to come with me to my house? Jer, come on." Elena stood up. "Sure," Bonnie smiled, but Jeremy stared at Acacia. "I'll catch up later." Elena frowned, but allowed herself to be led outside by Bonnie.

"Wait, Elena, I am coming with you guys." Stefan walked out the door, trying to catch up to Bonnie and Elena's retreating forms. "Well, I will be going," Rebekah said, vampire speeding out of the house. The only ones left were Jeremy and Acacia. He got up, going to sit beside Acacia on the couch. "Hey, I'm Jeremy. I am Destiny's cousin." Acacia looked over at him, smiling a little. "Acacia, but everyone calls me Cassie." He smiled at her. 

"You wanna get out of here?" He asked, standing up. He held his hand out to her. "Sure," she whispered, taking his hand. She stood up, and let him tug her out of the now empty house. 

***

I wrapped my arms around his neck, tugging him closer. I tangled my fingers in his thick hair. He smirked through the kiss, pushing me back onto the hood of the car. "Hate to break this to you, but we are in broad daylight," I said as he started kissing down my neck, moving to my collarbone. "I don't care," he whispered against my skin. "Seriously, Nik. If you're going to do that, do it at your house." He looked up at me. "Does that mean you will be coming back with me?"

I smirked. "Oh, definitely not. You can take Caroline, if you want." He just shook his head, lifting up off of my body. Before I knew it, he swung me up into his arms, kissing me hard on the mouth. I laughed, finally pulling away. "Now, we really need to go," I reminded him, opening the passenger side door. He smirked, opening his own door. He slid inside, turning on the car. "You're a horny bastard," I laughed. He grinned at me. "Only for you." I just laughed, shaking my head at him as we pulled out of the driveway, on our way to his house.

We arrived in about two minutes due to Klaus driving at one hundred miles an hour. He was out of the car, swinging me up into his arms in a matter of seconds. "Whoa, you're eager. And hate to break it to you, but I am not having sex with you. I never even agreed to date you again." He smirked at me. "Oh, you will, love." And his mouth was upon mine.