Chapter 25: To Trust Or Not To Trust?

Acacia's eyes traveled up my body and down again, scrutinizing me. "Are you done yet?" I asked impatiently. She stared at my arm; it was the one where a tattoo used to be. It was the one the witch used to attack me. I narrowed my eyes at her in suspicion. "Wasn't there a tattoo there before?" Acacia wondered. "And how would you know that?" Bonnie asked, glaring at the girl. "Well, of course I checked up on my sister. I wanted to know if he had gotten to her."

"Is anyone else confused?" I heard Elena whisper to Damon. "You can't be two people, Acacia. You're either the protective, loving sister or the raging bitch that cares only for herself. Choose one!" I shouted at the end. She looked startled, and I started to feel a little bad. Eventually the smirk fell from her lips, and she seemed to slump over, as if she were giving up. 

"May I speak with you alone, Destiny?" she asked timidly. I opened my mouth to respond, but Klaus beat me to it. "No way in hell." He placed a hand protectively on my right hip. "Yes, would you like to go upstairs?" I suggested. She nodded and I removed Klaus's hand from my hip. "What are you doing?" Rebekah stepped forward. "I think that she is putting up a facade to keep people out, so that they will not get hurt. She reminds me of Damon, actually." Damon looked away as I said that. "I need to speak with her. Don't worry. I think I can trust her." I give Klaus's hand one pat before I turned to go upstairs.

As I ascended to the top, I saw Acacia looking down nervously. "Let's go in here," I suggested, gesturing to Damon's bedroom. She nodded, following me inside. I sat on the edge of bed; she sat on a small chair across from me. "So, why does this guy hate you so much that he would kill my family, and try to kill me just  because of you?" I asked, cutting straight to the point.

"It's sort of a long story..." She trailed off. "I have time." She shot me a small smile before plunging headfirst into the lengthy tale...

***

Acacia's Story.
When I was fifteen, I started dating this guy named Drake Vander. Fort he first two weeks, everything was perfect; it was too perfect, some might say, but I thought everything was wonderful because for the first time in my life, I was genuinely happy. My parents fought all of the time, my sister was away at college, and my brother could care less about me. He was the best thing that had ever happened to me, or so I thought.

I guess the bad stuff didn't start happening until Drake's older brother died. His brother's name was Zane, by the way. Anyway, after that, he was different. He was distant at first. And then he started becoming overprotective, obsessive even about me. He would want to know where I was every second of every day, what I was doing, and who I was with. That wasn't even the worst. Oh, how it got so much worse.

He became violent. Aggressive. One day, he was over at my house, and everyone was gone. They were all off doing something. I was alone. With Drake. We started watching a movie, and he said he was hungry, so I made popcorn. What else was I going to do, right? I brought it back, and he said he didn't want it. So, I told him "Okay." and I brought it back to the kitchen, putting i back in the microwave just in case he might want it later.

When I came back in, he started yelling, screaming. It was like he was a completely different person. He screamed, "You stupid bitch! You're trying to make me feel guilty! I don't even know why I stay with such a stupid slut like you! It is true what everyone says about you! You are stupid, useless! You have no worth! You should just go die! No one loves you! No one will ever be able to love a monster like you!" And then he slapped me across the face so hard, he broke my jaw.

And when I started crying, he kicked me in the stomach. I started spitting up blood. He continued to kick me while scremaing, "Monster!  Monster! Monster!" Finally, I just snapped. I found it within me to at least get away from him. I grabbed a vase with my mother's favorite flowers in it and smashed it over his head, knocking him unconscious. I didn't think; I just acted.

I ran up to my room, packing everything that I could into a few bags, and I ran like hell. That's how my family, and yours, ended up dead. You were supposed to die. That is why he is coming after you. And I am so sorry that all of this happened because of me. Believe me when I say that Ii would never inflict this upon anyone. Believe me, Destiny.

***

I look up at her as she finished the story. Her cheeks were stained with tears. "You should also know that a couple of days ago he killed your brother. I only know this because every single time he kills someone off from my family, he sends me a note. He always is able to find me. And I am so sorry. You are his next target. You have to believe me when I say that this is true. All of it. Please believe me, sister." Her eyes pleaded with me. How could I deny what she said? It has to be the truth. No one is that good of an actress. Please don't let me regret this, I thought as I stared at her hard for a moment.

"I believe you, Acacia. I believe you, and I trust you. Don't make me regret it."