Chapter 11

"You're strange, you know that?!" Prince Coleman suddenly burst out.

"How so?" I asked, plastering on the fakest smile one ever saw onto my face.

"You act hostile and hot-tempered one moment, and then the next you're compliant and nice!" Prince Coleman cried.

"It is because I am trying to be a good servant so I can keep my job, but you keep irritating me and causing me to break from my calm façade," I answered with as little emotion as I could manage.

"Well, I think you're a crappy servant, to tell the truth," Prince Coleman informed me.

Gee thanks.

"In that case, I'll strive to improve in the effort to please the benevolent Prince Coleman the First," I said with a faux smile.

"Do not mock me!" he demanded.

"I apologize if you feel that way, Prince Coleman. Even my compliments are sour upon your ears."

"Because it wasn't genuine. I'm not stupid."

"I beg to differ," I muttered my insult under my breath.

"What did you say just now?" asked Prince Coleman sharply.

"Nothing of consequence, I assure you," I replied quickly.

"Whatever. Just leave, little maid!"

"As you wish," I answered, and happily left the room and its obnoxious owner.

Being a personal maid has got to be the most boring job ever. I had waited outside the door of Prince Coleman's room for 30 minutes doing nothing, and those little heels on my feet were really starting to hurt. I carefully glanced down the long empty hallway to assure that no one was watching, and seeing that the coast was clear, I flung off my shoes and slumped to the floor. My black poofy skirt spread out as I sat on the sparkling marble flooring, and I began to absentmindedly run my hands over the silky fabric. I wished I had brought a book to read or my phone to use. As I examined the skirt, I found to my great excitement that it had pockets; and not worthless pockets, but great big ones that could be stuffed full of rubbish. However, my thrill soon wore off as I suffered another twenty minutes of boredom when the door began to open. I hurriedly sprang to my feet and tried my best to look attentive by the door. I hadn't managed to put my little black heels on and hoped that neither Prince Coleman nor Luke would notice. The two men stepped out of the room.

"We'll be town for a couple of hours, and I expect you to be waiting for my return," announced the Prince.

"Yes, Prince Coleman," I answered.

"I hope you won't miss me too terribly, little maid," Prince Coleman told me with an arrogant smile.

"I'll shoulder the pain as best I can," I replied.

He looked peeved. "Alright, Lucas. Let us be off!" Prince Coleman motioned for Luke to follow him, and for a couple of seconds Luke looked back at me and then down at my bare feet with an amused smile. He gave me a small wave and was off after the Prince. Once the two were out of sight, I slipped on my shoes and waited a couple of minutes before leaving my post at Prince Coleman's door. I made my way to the servants' quarters and flopped onto my new bed. I took my phone charging on the wall and began to scroll through my notifications, which were just texts from my parents and my best friend Lydia. My mother and father wanted to know how I was doing at the castle, since I had informed them of my new job last night, and Lydia was asking me how Aregano was. I told everyone that I would call them that night to let them know the details, and that I was doing fine.

But really, I didn't know how fine I was. I hated my boss; that was for sure. That being said, things could be a lot worse. I could still be homeless and jobless. As much as I hated to admit it, I was lucky to have the dumb, arrogant Prince of Aregano pick on me, since it gave me means to survive. After an ample amount of wallowing in my room and mindlessly liking pictures on social media, I pulled myself from the bed and decided to see if I was needed in the castle. I slipped my phone and a pair of small white headphones into my dress pocket and put my cursed heeled shoes on. I roamed out into the hall with my hands in my dress pockets when a sharp voice addressed me.

"You there!" a woman with a crisp Areganan accent cried. I whirled in the direction of the voice to see another maid around my age with dark hair, a stack of dresses, and an irritated expression.

"Me?"

"Yes, you! What do you think you are doing, wandering about?"

"Um—"

"No matter! Come with me now! I need help with Princess Calista."