Chapter 13

"Oh frick!" I murmured under my breath. Prince Coleman wasn't supposed to be back yet!

"Come in!" answered Princess Calista. I noticed Helen straighten herself up and nervously tuck a loose strand of hair behind her ear. I was wondering if I could make a quick escape.

Prince Coleman opened the door and walked in with Luke shortly behind.

"Brother!" cried the Princess, rushing up to him with her extravagant ball gown to give him a hug. "Ah, and Lucas!" She turned her attention to Luke—MY Luke!—and gave him quite the hug, snuggling her face in his chest. Luke looked about ready to die. At least, that was my interpretation.

"What are you two doing here?" she asked, all sweetness.

"Thought I'd stop by. I'm searching for my runaway maid..." Prince Coleman's voice trailed off as he spotted me standing there. "What are you doing here, little maid?" he snapped. "Did I not tell you to be waiting for me?"

"I apologize. I thought you'd be back later and I was asked to help the Princess with trying on dresses," I explained.

"Speaking of dresses," Princess Calista butted in. "What do you think of my dress, Lucas?" she asked flirtatiously, taking a step back from him and twirling around. It became apparent to me that contrary to my original assessment, not every girl in the castle had overlooked Luke.

His smile was uncomfortable as he answered. "You look beautiful as always, Princess."

"Oh Lucas!" she giggled. "You always say the sweetest things."

"Calista, would you stop?" sighed Prince Coleman. Princess Calista turned around and flushed.

"Wha—whatever do you mean, Coleman?" she asked innocently.

"Stop throwing yourself at my butler. You're embarrassing yourself."

A small laugh escaped my mouth at the Prince's comment, and upon hearing it he quickly turned to face at me with a surprised look. A smile I had not seen before rose on his face, and he seemed rather pleased at my reaction.

"Is this your maid?" Princess Calista asked her brother, pointing a hostile finger towards me.

"Yes," he answered.

"Well, I'm sure she is full of smiles and flattery towards you, Coleman, but your little maid is quite impertinent! In fact, I found myself quite offended by her!" she complained, and I grimaced once more.

"Really?" The Prince turned to me with a smile toying at his lips. He looked amused. "Pray tell me, sister, did she tell you that were pathetic?"

"What?! Of course not. I would have had to slap her," Princess Calista informed Prince Coleman, to which my eyes widened.

"Well then, it's seems she's been kinder to you than to me," Prince Coleman chuckled.

"What?!" she cried. "Are you to tell me that you aren't going to fire her?!"

"It's really none of your business, Calista."

"Coleman! I demand you fire her!"

"Well you don't get to tell me what to do! And by the way, you should quit trying to pull off dresses that are meant for girls with an actual chest while you're at it. You look stupid."

I really did try not to laugh. I really did.

"You don't know what you're talking about!" she screamed, her face red and angry. "AHHHH! I hate you, Coleman!"

"Well that's fine by me!" Prince Coleman shot back.

"UGH!" she pouted and stomped her foot. "Don't come back to my room, you hear?!"

"I can do what I want, Cali!"

"You are not allowed to come here, you understand!" shrieked Princess Calista. For a moment she softened, and turned to Luke. "Well, you can always come if he really needs me, Lucas."

Luke's eyes trailed to mine so that we made eye contact. His eyes told all; he was dead inside.

"We're leaving!" announced Prince Coleman. "You too, Miss Cassandra!" I had never been so eager to follow Prince Coleman's orders. Anything to get away from his ridiculous sister. I felt far more relaxed once we all stepped outside of the hall.

"I cannot believe you, little maid!" cried the Prince. "You would leave serving me for my sister?!"

If I got reassigned to serve Princess Calista, I honestly would quit. She was like an angrier, brattier, teen girl version of Prince Coleman that came with no Luke.

"Never, Prince Coleman," I answered. "Her maid, Helen, requested my help, and since I wasn't doing anything at the time, and I didn't expect your arrival until later, I figured I'd help out."

"And what did you think of Calista?" asked the Prince. I paused a moment.

"She makes you look good," I smiled.

He looked surprised. "I can't tell if that's a compliment or an insult!" he retorted.

"I try to be mysterious."

Author's note:

Thank you to everyone who has been reading this story!  I love reading all of your comments. If you know anyone who you think would like this story, I would appreciate it if you would share Maid For You with him/her!

Let me know which guy you prefer at this point. ;)

Thank you for all your votes and comments!