Chapter 42

I stared at his closed door for a moment.

Oh no.

Oh HECK no.

Prince Coleman's stupid cologne!

I raked my hands through my hair. How do I explain to Luke my innocence? No scandalous events between Coleman and I had ever, or would ever take place!

I knocked on the door, to which I received no answer.

"Luke!" I called. "I know you're in there! I need to talk to you!" I continued knocking in vain, however; and I stomped my foot and let out a huffy breath.

I blazed back to my room and started aggressively tapping out my friend's number.

"Hi, this is Lydia! Please leave a message after the—" I hung up the phone.

"Why won't you answer me!" I demanded of the phone. What a horribly unfair situation!

As I entered Prince Coleman's bedroom the next morning, Luke refused to look at me

"Ah, finally, my breakfast is here. You managed to make it on time, I'm impressed," Prince Coleman remarked.

"Prince Coleman, might I be excused for my own meal?" Luke asked.

"Sure," the Prince waved a dismissive hand, and Luke sped past me and out the door without so much as a glance.

"Well?" Prince Coleman rose an eyebrow. "Are you just going to stand there or are you going to bring me my food?!"

I hurried over and passed him his tray.

"Lucas has been abnormally quiet this morning, even for him! He seems to be sulking over something." Prince Coleman popped a strawberry in his mouth. "He has been very dull; so I suppose I am somewhat glad that you are here."

"Prince Coleman." My voice held a pleading tone, and he eyed me suspiciously. "Can you please help me clear up something?"

He swallowed his food. "Clear up what?"

"Look, because I accidentally wore your cologne yesterday, some people think that, that...you know..."

He smiled mischievously. "Nope. You are going to have to spell it out for me."

I glared at him. "I highly doubt a man of your reputation cannot surmise my meaning."

"That sounded rather rude."

"If you don't clear this all up, people might think that we were in flagrante in some scandalous tryst!" I spat.

"Wow." Prince Coleman clapped slowly. "Look at you, exercising big words. I guess your little 'writing' degree wasn't completely worthless after all."