Chapter 16

Chef Jonathan plopped a piece of cake onto a plate and slid it to me across the counter.

"Are you messing with me?" I folded my arms.

"What makes you think that?" He passed me a fork.

"First of all, how would 'all the guys in the castle' even know of my distaste for your dear crown prince?" I raised an eyebrow.

"You'd be surprised how quickly news can spread," Jonathan shrugged. "Now, are you going to eat the cake? You said you were hungry."

I grabbed the fork, drove it into the cake, and shoved the food in my mouth.

I momentarily forgot my troubles.

"Whoa," I garbled. "That's really good."

"Thank you. Help yourself to however much you like."

I started shoving forkfuls of the rich dessert into my mouth, mulling over how delicious it was and over my apparent popularity.

Who would know about my less than-friendly feelings for Prince Coleman? There was Luke, though I hardly imagined him to spread around the gossip. Well, Sherry also knew. So did that jealous fiend Raven, and her little followers. Oh, and the Princess's maid, Helen. Quite frankly, Jonathan himself knew!

The more I thought about it, the more apparent it came that it was quite possible that the whole castle knew by now. Maybe there would at least be less hostility toward me from the other servants, if nothing else.

"Thank you for the cake." I gave Jonathan my best smile. "It was delicious."

"Of course! It's always good to hear another opinion on my food, anyway. You should stop by my kitchen at
night more often," he said.

"I might just take you up on that offer."

"Then can I get your cellphone number? You know, in case you want some food?"

Maybe it was the stream of flirtation, but the Chef before me seemed much better looking than my initial impression. Broad shoulders, mischievous blue eyes, wild waves of dirty blonde hair, and just a hint of a blonde stubble.

"Of course. Would you put yours into my phone as well?"

"What's this nonsense about you and weekends?!" One second into day two and Prince Coleman was already yelling at me

"Your breakfast." I placed his silver platter on his lap over the rich red bedcovers.

"Don't ignore me," Prince Coleman snapped. "Lucas tells me you won't be here tomorrow!"

My eyes rolled over to Luke—darling Luke—where he mouthed 'sorry.' It had already been a long morning, what with the dirty glares most maids gave me as I walked by, and the fact that I hated
mornings in general. My late-night cake escapade, along with the time spent mulling over Jonathan's
information in my head, had also cut into my needed hours of sleep.

"He's right. I don't work on Saturdays or Sundays." I shrugged.

"Why not?" The Prince took a stab at his tantalizing pancakes.

"I came to Aregano to see the tourist spots and get familiar with the culture, not to work all the time."

"You'll learn about our culture here."

"Yes, I have learned quite a bit." That every girl worships her loser Prince. "But, I would like to see outside these castle walls."

"Do you even realize how lucky you are?" Prince Coleman shook his head, as though disgusted
by my lack of gratitude. "Do you know how many girls would kill for this job?"

"I do in fact. They level their glares at me daily." I smirked.

"Daily? You've only been here for a little over a day," Prince Coleman shot back.

"Well then, you know I'm not exaggerating."

"I think it's ridiculous that you are leaving your job every week to parade around outside!"

"I think it's ridiculous that you care so much about what I do!"

The Prince's eyes flared open. "Excuse you?!"

Honestly, why was he still surprised by my sass?

"Fine. Excuse me." I took the opportunity to whirl around and march right out the door with a click clack of my heels.

I shut the door behind me and clenched my fists. Honestly, what does he want from me? Why would I work 24/7?!

The door opened gently and Luke stepped out beside me and cast a sympathetic look.

"I'm sorry." He sighed. "I feel bad for mentioning that you weren't going to be here this weekend, but I had no idea that he'd—"

"It's not your fault," I interrupted him.

"How can you predict that kind of crazy?"

"Well, the man himself has requested that you come back in." Luke grimaced.

"I'm sure it was a nice, polite request."

The corner of Luke's mouth twitched upward. "Yes. Just like that."

We reentered the room and once again, Coleman began shouting.

"Why did you just up and leave, little maid?!"

I stared down at my black heels in silent defiance.

"Well?" Prince Coleman pressed, still sitting in his bed.

"Why do you care?" I mumbled.

"I can't hear you. Speak up!"

"Why do you care if I'm not here on the weekends?!" I gave him an exasperated look.

The Prince narrowed his eyes. "Lucas?" He said.

"Yes, your highness?" Luke took a step toward the bed.

"Leave us," the Prince commanded.

My heart stopped, and anxiety gripped my stomach. I hadn't realized how much security Luke's presence gave me.

Oh gosh, I've been so defiant. Have I even stopped to think about the consequence?

I turned to Luke with wide eyes, and found that he himself wore a pair of widened eyes.

"Um...are you sure?" he squeaked.

"Of course I'm sure. Go get your breakfast, now. You must be hungry." The Prince waved a dismissive hand.

Luke looked conflicted, his eyes flickering between Coleman, the door, and me.

"Yes, Prince Coleman."

Luke walked toward the door and cast me a glance. He tried to smile but I could see the concern in his eyes.

My heart dropped as the door clicked shut behind him.

For the first time since coming here, Prince Coleman and I were alone.