Chapter 14

"Princess Calista sure has taken a fancy to you," I told Luke with a teasing smile as we were waiting in line to get our dinner from the buffet table that evening. 

He groaned.

"I don't know why.  I wish she didn't," he grumbled.  "It's honestly incredibly awkward when I'm around her.  She's always says stuff like: 'Oh you always say the nicest things,' and I always think 'it's because that's my job.  I'm forced to be nice to you!'" 

I laughed. "You don't mean to tell me that you aren't in love with the fifteen year old girl?!" 

"Shocker, I know." His crooked, lopsided smile rose on his face.

"I was very surprised when Prince Coleman showed up!  I thought he wouldn't be back until later," I admitted.

"I tried to call you," Luke said.  "But you didn't answer."

"Ah, so it was you who kept calling. My phone went off while helping the dear Princess and she did not appreciate it."

"She doesn't appreciate anything, if we're being perfectly honest."  Luke winked, and I snorted.

"Not true.  She appreciates you!"

"Lucky me."

"Cassie!"  Sherry skirted up to me as we sat down.  "How was your day?!"

"Still not in love with Prince Coleman, I'm afraid."  I shook my head.

"I said give it a week, didn't I?" She took a seat across the table from me.  "Hello, Mister Lucas!  I don't see you down here much."

He gave a halfhearted smile.  "Probably because I don't sit down here too much."

"How is the Prince doing these days, sir?" asked Sherry, her hazel eyes wide with wonder.

"He is doing well.  He's healthy and full of life as always," Luke answered.

"Too full of life if you ask me."  I wrinkled my nose.

"How can you say such things, Cassie?" Sherry giggled.

"I'd say he is a fair bit better than his sister, though," I admitted.

"Ah, so you met our dear Princess."  Sherry's eyes glistened.  "Yes, she's a nasty little one.  I helped serve her once and that was enough to last me a lifetime!"

That night, after briefly filling my parents in on my current situation, I dialed my best friend

"Hey Cass!" Lydia answered.

"Lydia!  How are you?"

"Pfft.  Fine.  Normal.  Who cares about that right now?  How is Aregano?!" she exclaimed.

I told her about how that jerk from my store was the prince.  She gasped in all of the right places.

"Even still, Cassie, I can't believe you were so bold!"