Chapter 15

"What are you doing here, Luke?!"

"Oh, sorry to disturb you," Luke murmured.

I felt my face flush. Oh gosh. What if he heard me freaking out over him?

"Don't worry about it." I smiled through my embarrassment. I may have been wearing my oversized t-shirt and ratty sweatpants, but at least I hadn't washed off my makeup yet. "What's up?"

"Who's at the door?" Lydia's voice came over the phone. I hung up on her, and figured I'd explain it all to her later.

"Well, Missus Lucille would normally handle this sort of thing, but since you are the Prince's maid, she asked if I'd discuss it with you," started Luke.

"Discuss what? Oh, and you can come in." I stepped aside and opened the door for him. Luke hesitated a moment before walking in.

Suddenly the implication hit me.

We were alone in my room. At night.

Unfortunately the light of the lamp most likely illuminated the pink on my cheeks. Ugh, I was overthinking things!

"Anyways, um, what did you—what did you want to discuss?"

"Your scheduling. You asked to take Friday nights, Saturdays, and Sundays off, correct?" Luke tilted his head to the side.

"Yes." I nodded. "I know it seems like kind of a lot to take off, but I came to Aregano to see the country and tour its famous locations. If I worked as a maid seven days a week, in the end there wouldn't be much of a point in being here. I didn't come just to work."

"I think it makes perfect sense. As you know, tomorrow is Thursday, and the following Friday. Since you are the Prince's personal maid, it's your responsibility each week to find a maid who will cover your position."

"Oh really?" My lip quirked. "Should be hard to find a girl willing."

Luke grinned. "Oh I'm sure."

"Maybe I should hold an auction for whoever gets the honor to serve the prince this weekend. I'm sure I could pony up quite a bit of cash." I smiled mischievously.

"Now, now, didn't I tell you not to abuse your responsibilities?" Luke laughed.

"Fine, I'll give up my dream of being an auctioneer." I held up my hands in submission.

He smiled. "I'll see you tomorrow, Cassie."

"See you tomorrow."

I called back Lydia and apologized for hanging up

I called back Lydia and apologized for hanging up. After finding out I had hung up due to Luke appearing at my door, she was more than ready to forgive me.