Chapter 34

"Are you ready, Luke?" I asked, stopping myself from grabbing his hand dramatically.

"No," he said. Then he pushed open the doors.

"Ah! Lucas! You're here!" Princess Calista rose from the sofa and took quick yet graceful strides over to us. She wore a flattering emerald dress that highlighted her green eyes. "Thank goodness you made it! I was worrying myself sick that I'd be on my own to run this party!"

It was 10:00 AM. The party didn't start for another freaking hour.

"I am glad to be of assistance, your highness. What do you need my help with?" Luke asked politely.

"Oh, simply everything!" She dramatically clasped his hand and stared into his golden chocolate eyes. "Are you ready, Lucas?"

This dumb chick! I thought. I was going to grab his hand earlier but didn't! Have you no shame?

Luke zeroed in on her hands clasping his own and gently pulled his away. "We should get started, then, though the parlor looks wonderful already."

We looked around the spacious room with ornate sofas, tables, and fancy paintings on the four walls. The room could fit my current one five times over.

"Come here for a moment, Lucas." Princess Calista walked over to a table with a vase of beautiful flowers. "I simply cannot decide what to do with the flowers in this vase. Do you think we ought to try for a different arrangement?"

"Um, they look stunning, Princess."

"I think they're perfect!" I threw in, unsure of my purpose here.

A snarl rose on Princess Calista's features. "Miss Cassie. You're here too."

"Yes. I arrived with Lucas..." I started. There was no way she could have missed me. "What do you need me to do, your highness?"

"Let's make one thing clear, Cassie." She held up one perfectly manicured finger. "You will stand by the door and say nothing, do nothing, be nothing. Just stand there and try not to draw any attention to yourself. I will not have you ruining everything. Also, I told Lucas to come at this time, not you. I have no idea why on earth you are here so early."

"I assumed you needed servants to help set up the parlor for your party," I answered.

"I have it covered. Why don't you go off or talk to Helen or something. And when the party comes, remember your role." Princess Calista glared at me.

I pursed my lips, and then drew into a long, over exaggerated bow. "Yes your highness."

I ignored her insulted expression and sauntered over to the Princess's poor personal maid, Helen.

"Hello, Miss Cassie." Helen smiled. "How is serving the Prince going?"

"Well he made me go to this crapshow so I'm none too pleased to say the least." I crossed my arms irritably. "I don't know how you put up with little Miss Tween Brat over there."

Helen chuckled. "You know, she technically is fifteen, not really a tween anymore. "

I watched Prince Calista put her grubby fifteen year old paws all over my Luke in an effort to show him around the room or whatever nonsense she concocted.