Chapter 39

When Lady Madeline saw me, her face contorted into blatant irritation.

"Hello, ladies. You all look beautiful today." Prince Coleman beamed as he approached.

"Where is your normal attendant, Coleman?" Madeline cut right to the chase. "Oh, what's his name, Lucas?"

"Poor Lucas suffered quite an ordeal yesterday, so I gave him the day off." The Prince shrugged. "Unfortunately, Cassie here is a horrible substitute, but she'll have to do."

"If she is so horrible, I wonder why you keep her around at all." Madeline glared at me.

"And I wonder at your lack of ability to hide your emotions, Madeline, but sometimes we just get to wonder things in life and not know the answers to them," he snapped.

Oh, she just got burned!  I smiled triumphantly.  Look, I never claimed to be the best of people.

Lady Madeline's face blanched at his words and the other women at the table looked around uncomfortably.

"Miss Carmichael, go see if you can assist the staff here," Prince Coleman instructed. While I enjoyed his snap at Lady Madeline, I didn't really want to be on the receiving end of one, so followed his order without any additional commentary.

  While I enjoyed his snap at Lady Madeline, I didn't really want to be on the receiving end of one, so followed his order without any additional commentary

I didn't do much during their brunch. I awkwardly stood in the back by the wait staff, waiting for any moment for Prince Coleman to call me, but I guess he didn't need his substitute butler during brunch. I texted Luke about my situation today, to which I received no response. I ate a popular breakfast plate from Café Benedict, exploding with flavor and spices like most Areganan meals did. My simple Embryian pallet could not fully appreciate it and I found myself missing our juicy burgers back home.

Finally, the boring brunch ended and we all climbed into the limo, the three additional women included. Madeline sat on Prince Coleman's left, and a woman named Serena Richie—apparently a celebrity here—sat on his right. The third woman, Lady Anne, was exiled to sit next to me and across from him.

"Well, this brunch has been an absolute pleasure, ladies," Prince Coleman grinned. As the pleasantries followed by obscene flirting continued, I stared grumpily out of the window. I wasn't included in the conversation, and I was bored as heck.

Poor Luke must be bored all the time. I thought.  What must it be like for him to witness Prince Coleman's constant  flirting with other women?  It must be insufferable.

"Now, now, why so grumpy looking, Miss Carmichael?" The Prince asked. "Sad to be missing out on all the fun?"

I was about to reply, but was cut off by Lady Anne.