Chapter 38

"I am not going out looking like this." I crossed my arms defiantly.

"You'll be fine, little maid." Prince Coleman sounded tired of the conversation.

"I am wearing a frilly little French maid outfit!" I snapped.

"A modest one, though. You are not scantily clad, so I don't see the problem."

"It's embarrassing. I'll look like I've escaped either a comic-con or the 1800s."

"I'm sorry you feel that way, Miss Carmichael, but I still need someone to fill Lucas's role, and that person is you." He clicked his tongue. "You know, Lucas never complains about going out in his uniform."

"He wears a suit!" I cried incredulously.

"It's technically not a suit."

"He wears a suit except instead of a jacket he wears a vest! He looks much more normal than me, your highness!"

"This argument is pointless, little maid. Quit your blubbering and prepare to head out!"

"I'm not wearing this." I was putting my foot down. I wasn't walking around wearing a poofy maid dress and filly lacy hat thing. "Let me change into something more reasonable."

"I don't have time for this." He rolled his eyes.

"Well you're going to have to make time for it."

Somehow I managed to convince Prince Coleman to wait around while I changed into something reasonable

Somehow I managed to convince Prince Coleman to wait around while I changed into something reasonable. I was keeping the black heels and the fancy updo, but the dress and the maid hat had to go. I switched for a stylish white dress shirt tucked into a classic black pencil skirt. Giving myself more time than I knew I had, just to tick off Prince Coleman, I carefully examined my jewelry to pick out a pair of cluster earrings and a large ring.

Bang, bang, bang.

"Little maid! Hurry up!" Prince Coleman shouted over his rapping at my door.

"I'm going as fast as I can!" I lied as I placed my phone into a black purse. Heck, I hadn't even been out to town yet since my first day here, and I was going to go out looking fierce. I rolled my sleeves a couple of times, applied my rich rosewood lipstick, ensured every hair was in its correct place, and finally opened my door to a huffy puffy prince.

"I half expected you to threaten to blow down the door like the big bad wolf," I smirked.

Though I had executed my pre-meditated comment perfectly, Prince Coleman's big bad wolf vibe had already subsided before I had even finished speaking.

"Well..." He was distracted. "You...you...took a long time."

"I'm the Prince of Aregano's butler!" I cried mockingly. "I have to look decent, you know!"