Chapter 19

"You, uh, think the Prince is gorgeous?" Luke asked. I could sense his effort into making a nonchalant tone.

Oh Luke. Why did you have to ask such a stupid question? How am I supposed to answer that?

Unfortunately, his nasty personality had not suddenly rendered him an ugly troll. It's too bad how that works in life.

"If I said I thought he was ugly," I started, choosing my words carefully. "Would you have believed me?"

"Hi Cassie!" A voice saved me from this awkward conversation. I looked up.

"Oh, Ethan, hi," I said.

The gardener flashed a smile. "Lucky us, we got another meal at the same time."

I smiled politely. It wasn't like I disliked Ethan, in fact, he was very cute, but I didn't know how to feel with Luke right next to me.

"Mister Lucas!" Ethan rose his eyebrows. "What are you doing down here?"

"Sitting with me," I answered for him. "He's nice enough to give little old me some company."

"If its company you're looking for, Cassie, I'll always be happy to oblige." Ethan's golden green eyes sparkled.

"Thanks." I tucked a loose strand of hair behind my ear and fiddled with the food on my plate. "Most everyone here has been so nice."

AKA, all the guys here have been most obliging. Not that I'm complaining.

"Oh really? Who else?" Ethan tilted his head sideways.

"Um...just people I guess." I laughed awkwardly. I shoveled some food in my mouth to avoid further discussion.

I plopped down on my bed and waited for FaceTime to load

"Hello? Ah, there you are Cassie!" My mom was beaming on the other end.

"Hey, Mom. How are you?"

"Good. We actually had a lot of sales at the store today."

"That's great!"

"How was your second day on the job?! We didn't get to talk too much last time," Mom said.

"It was good." I shrugged. "I'm just tired, I guess."

"Are there any cute boys there?" Mom asked with a teasing tone.

"Mom!" I flushed. "I, uh, I don't know..."

"Oh please, Cassie!" I heard my Dad's voice holler from off screen. I saw him walk into the room from behind my mom. "The first thing you did when you got there was to look for cute guys, let's not pretend otherwise."

I grimaced. "Come on, Dad, at least let me pretend I have a little dignity."

"Face it, Cass," another voice interjected. My 16-year-old brother, Calvin, came into view. "You're boy crazy and we all know it."

"Oh, you're one to talk, Calvin!" I shot back. "You're just as girl obsessed as I am boy crazy."

"No way, you're way worse!" laughed Calvin.

"I'm here to talk to Mom, not you two boys!" I said pointedly to my dad and brother.

"Aw, Cassie, you don't care about your own father?" My dad pouted, pretending to wipe away tears. "Your own father, who loved and raised you?" He was beginning to 'choke up.' "I'm absolutely heartbroken."

"I'm sure you are." I rolled my eyes, but he had painted a grin on my face as he always did. "But fine, if you all must know, yes, there are many cute boys."

"Oh, really? Have any of them talked to you?" Mom pestered excitedly.

"Probably not," shot Calvin.

"Actually, yes. I've met four good looking guys...though one hardly counts because he just yells at me."

"Who yells at you?" asked Dad.

"My boss, Prince Coleman deCourcy of Aregano."

"Yo," broke in Calvin. "I looked him up after you mentioned last time that you were his maid or whatever and the dude is hot."

"Oh, so then do you want to join the millions of other fangirls in competition for his heart, then?" I deadpanned.

Calvin rolled his eyes. "You know I don't swing that way. I'm just stating a fact. You got lucky to work for a guy who looks like that."

"Well he's an obnoxious prick, Calvin."

"Still, he's very handsome," Mom added. "Calvin showed me."

"Also he's rich, Cassie," Dad winked. "That never hurt."

"Okay, moving on," I continued. "Apparently a bunch of the guys here are pretty interested in me."

"Seriously?" Calvin looked shocked. "It's a Christmas miracle!"

"It's September, you moron!" I snapped.

"Finally, it seems that Aregano at least has men with good taste." Mom nodded resolutely.

"How do you know that they all have the hots for you?" asked Dad.

I explained the Prince Coleman fangirl culture here, essentially leaving me as the only option.

"You certainly lucked out with this maid gig," Calvin said.

I thought for a moment. "I really did!"

"I'm glad you're enjoying yourself." Dad's eyes shone. They were a rich brown, like mine.

Author's Note:

Today's update is a bit shorter, I apologize.  It's a little tricky trying to time my chapter write.  I kind of just keep writing and hope for the best with this story.  However, it's very fun to write because I'm never sure what will happen next!

Thank you all for reading!  Maid For You just reached 1k reads, which was very exciting to me!  Each week this story gets more and more reads, and it all means a lot to me.

If you know anyone you think would like this story, please feel free to share it with him or her!  Thank you for all the votes and comments; I especially love reading what you guys have to say.

Thanks!