Chapter 47

"Fine," Roiben grumbled, rolling his eyes.

Prince Coleman looked at me and opened his mouth to say something, but seemed to decide against it. I meanwhile, stood petrified.

I thought about all the times I had said some snarky remark to Prince Coleman, and while I succeeded in irritating him and earning his catty responses, never had he threatened me. Never had he laid a hand on me.

"Merc's here," Roiben said as a music blaring, canary yellow G-Wagon made its grand entrance and skirted to a halt on the adjacent roundabout.

A young man with brilliantly blonde hair jumped out of the car with arms raised. "You ready to get this party started?!"

"You do know that we're hiking, Mercucio, don't you?" Madeline asked dryly.

"Doesn't mean it can't be fun," he said, approaching. "I brought Lila, too. She's in the car."

"Who in the world is Lila?" asked Roiben.

"Lila's a real party animal," Mercucio grinned. He then looked at Prince Coleman and Madeline. "Looks like we're all here then." He eyes fell on me. "And who are you? Prince Coleman's latest?"

"No. I'm just his servant," I answered quickly.

"So was Marstella," Mercucio said.

"I'm nothing like Marstella," I growled.

"Wow. And did you two have issues? A rivalry, perhaps?" Mercucio pushed.

"Cassie here has never met Marstella," Prince Coleman said. "She's quite new in her employment."

"Where's your accent from?" Mercucio asked me. "American?"

"Embryian," I said.

"Ah. Those two accents are so similar. Well, allow me to introduce myself. I am Lord Mercucio of the François household, holders of Aregano's greatest farmlands. I'm also the most interesting noble, and that's a fact."

"Merc, let's get going," Lord Roiben complained.

"Fine." He conceded. "Let's all get in the G-Wagon."

"Your car only has five seats," Madeline interjected. "With me, Coleman, Roiben, you, and whoever Lila is, that makes five." She suddenly eyed me. "There's no room for Cassie."

"Aw darny. I guess I better stay home." I immediately dropped Coleman's 10,000 pound backpack. "I'll be here when you return, my Prince." I told Coleman. "And trust me, your room is going to be spotless."

"This is all nonsense!" laughed Mercucio. "Obviously there is room. I'm bringing three manservants, and they're in another car. Cassie can ride with them."

"Three? Isn't that a bit excessive?" Prince Coleman asked with a bemused smile.

"Better than bringing some 70kg chick to carry all my stuff." He glanced as me. "Ah, sorry, I didn't mean to assume your weight."

I had no idea how heavy 70kg was and if that was more or less than what I weighed.

"Oh Mercucio, you're such a lark!" cried Madeline. "How cheeky of you to pinpoint her weight."

Apparently 70kg was more than she weighed, due to Madeline's smug grin.

"Oh pinpoint is a word far too precise, dear Maddie." He answered. "Quite frankly, she could be anywhere between 45 and 85kg and I wouldn't know the difference."

"Mercucio. There is a big difference between 45 and 85kg," Lady Madeline scoffed.

Mercucio shrugged. "Well, Cassie, see that minivan over there? You can join my manservants there."

I glanced at Prince Coleman, who gave his nod of approval. I hoisted his ridiculous backpack and walked over to the minivan.

To my disappointment, the three guys inside were not all that attractive.

I've been spoiled by all the ridiculously good-looking people here at the castle. I thought as I clamored in.

What can I say?

I'm shallow.

"How are you feeling?" I spoke on the phone quietly with Luke while the three other servants chatted amongst themselves

"Tired," Luke said.

"Oh, should I let you go then?"

"No, I'm not that tired, Cassie...it means a lot that you are checking up on me."

"Of course. If I were still at the castle, I'd make sure soup was brought to you! You deserve at least that."

"Thank you," Luke said. "And I am sorry you have to go on the hike."

"Don't apologize. I don't mind hiking." That was low key a total lie but Luke didn't need to know that.

We chatted for another couple minutes before I let him go.

"Is that your boyfriend?" A servant named Dewey asked. He looked around my age with bug eyes and big front teeth.

"Oh! Um, uh, no. No, just a coworker." I blushed.

"Oh, I see," Dewey smiled. He then looked out the window. "It looks like we're here."

I stepped out of the car and looked up at Mount Laykard from its base, and I almost cried.

And they weren't tears of joy.

"That's the biggest mountain I've ever seen," I said, balking at its stature.

"Isn't gorgeous?" Dewey asked. He was way too happy to be climbing this frick fracking mountain.

"Yeah, it's pretty." I'd grant him that, but why couldn't these rich royal people just helicopter their way up to the top?

I guess Coleman needs to keep that physique somehow. He should just stick with the gym.

"Let's go then!" Lord Mercucio cried, his arm swung around an auburn-haired girl I could only assume was Lila.

Prince Coleman glanced back at me, and opened his mouth, but didn't say anything.

As we continued on our hike, I felt this strange vibe between us. After Roiben's terrifying outburst, I felt uncomfortable around Prince Coleman, and he himself had stopped with his teasing as well.

I think I often forgot about our difference in station. Obviously, I knew I was Coleman's maid and he was a prince, but it never really fully sunk in what that meant. In the eyes of the world, for all his playboy, philandering ways, Prince Coleman was of infinite more importance and stature. He was the future king, the man with royal blood coursing through his veins, and the heartthrob of every girl in Embryia: not just for his looks, but for who he inherently was.

And me?

I was a maid.