Chapter 30

Author's Note:

Sorry for the long wait for this chapter!  I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas.  Happy New Year!

I rose my eyebrows. "Do you have a problem with Mister Lucas?"

"No. None at all," Chef Jonathan replied unconvincingly. "Well, I'd uh, I'd better get back to the kitchens."

"Smooth transition, Chef Jonathan," I retorted sarcastically.

He chuckled awkwardly and dashed off.

The current dinner shift ended, most of it spent with Ethan and Dylan talking outside the dining hall

"Sorry I didn't sit with you most of the time," apologized Ethan.

"It's fine." I shrugged.

"Well, I'd better head back to work. It was good to see you, Cassie," he said.

"You too."

"And what about me?" Dylan interjected, wiggling his eyebrows.

I simply ignored him and walked by.

"Ooh, cold," he chortled.

You're obnoxious, I thought. I dispensed my dish with the rest of the dirty dishes when a friendly face caught my eye.

"Hey, Luke!" I waved.

He turned to me and beamed.

"Hi, Cassie." His eyes then held concern. "Are you doing alright?"

I smiled. "Yeah. Though it really shouldn't be me that you should be worried about. I did get to stop work early and leave those pretentious Barbies behind."

His lip quirked. "Then who should I be worried about?"

"Yourself. You were stuck with the brats," I noted.

Luke smiled weakly, placed a hand behind his neck, and leaned his head back. "Ah, I'm used to this kind of stuff. It just wears me out."

"You should rest, Luke. Go to your room and relax during your dinner break!"

"But I'm hungry, and a guy has to eat." He sighed.

"You should go to your room." I grinned cheekily. "Trust me. I'll make sure you get to eat and rest."

Luke rose an eyebrow. "Fine, if you say so."

I smiled and shooed him off. I went through the buffet line again and picked out a plate piled with delicious food for Luke. By asking a few servants roaming the halls, I was able to locate Luke's room, which was apparently separate from the rest of ours. I rapped at his door and he quickly answered.