Chapter 32

"You little skank."

I looked up to see yet another hostile maid glaring at me. Her hands were sprawled across the table and she leaned over menacingly. A loose strand of black hair from her otherwise immaculate bun hung across her eye and she was huffing angrily. She had sharp brown eyes, olive skin, and pearly white teeth bared into a snarl.

"You talking to me?" I asked.

"Don't patronize me." Her voice was sharp.

"Isabella! You're back!" Sherry piped in from beside me.

"It is true, Sherry? Did this Embryian grime replace me?"

"Isabella! Missus Lucille will throw a fit if she hears you using such language!" Sherry scolded.

"Language?" I asked. "Did she swear?"

"Of course. Didn't you hear? G-r-i-m-e?" Sherry looked at me pointedly.

"That's a swear word?" I wrinkled my face.

"You don't even fully understand our language," Isabelle growled. "How dare you steal my job from me. I leave for two weeks and return to find that some dumb ho had stolen my spot!"

"Were you the previous person maid for Prince Coleman?!" My eyes widened.

Her piercing Areganan voice dripped with anger. "Yes."

I'll be honest. The thought hadn't really crossed my mind about who I had replaced.

"Honestly, I had expected Raven to claw after my position, but never some nobody from some other country."  Isabella clenched her fist.

"Excuse me, I think I heard my name." Raven whipped her head toward us. "Ah, Isabella." She smirked. "You're back. How was Argentina?"

Isabella didn't even glance her way. "What did you do to get this job? Did you sleep with the Prince? Did you sleep with his butler?"

"No!" I cried. "I didn't do anything!"

"Bella!" a man's voice interjected, and a handsome man pushed his way into the group of maids surrounding me. His skin, hair, and facial features revealed what could only be her handsome brother. "Shut up, will you?"

"Isaac. This doesn't concern you." Isabella narrowed her eyes at him.

"It does, when my sister is acting crazed. This is why I told you not to get too attached to the Prince, Bella," he rebuked.

"Fine. I'll leave this skank be...for now. But I must know," she looked at me. "How did you get my job?"

Isabella was curvy and beautiful, but I supposed that she hadn't insulted a prince and so somehow I had the advantage.

"She met him in Embryia," Raven answered for me. "And apparently, he was enamored enough by her charms to make Miss Cassie here his personal maid."

"Just to be clear..." I held up a finger. "I wasn't very charming. I literally just yelled at him and kicked him out of my shop."

"Doubtful," Isabella huffedd before walking off.

"Sorry about her." Isaac flashed me a beautiful smile. "I suppose I'll be seeing you around, then?"

"Yeah. You will." I watched as Isaac—handsome man #472—walked off and to the buffet line.

"Where was I?" Sherry asked herself. "Oh! Yes! I have to tell you all about my weekend with Prince Coleman!"

Prince Coleman. Memories of our meet up in the moonlit castle swarmed my mind in an instant, and his quiet, open presence. I think he might like me. More than the other girls.

Sherry's hazel eyes widened as she looked at me. "Oh Cassie! I really think Prince Coleman is falling in love with me!"

"Really?" I asked skeptically.

"I do! It's subtle, but there are signs."

And suddenly I felt stupid. Of course. That's part of his charm. He makes girls think he cares about them. THAT'S HOW HE GETS THEM.

Sherry went on to rattle off things he did, such as glances and smiles, but I wasn't paying full attention, to be honest.

                My breakfast had been before Prince Coleman's today, and I was nervous to see him again for the first time since seeing him last night

My breakfast had been before Prince Coleman's today, and I was nervous to see him again for the first time since seeing him last night. Will things be different?

"There you are, little maid!" His loud voice boomed as I entered. "You're late!"

I guess not.

I checked my wristwatch. "You like your breakfast at 9:30. It's 9:31."

"Last I checked, 9:31 is, in fact, after 9:30. And your watch is behind. It's actually 9:32."

I grimaced. "9:32. Wow. I don't know how you managed to survive this long." I plopped his breakfast tray onto his lap.

"Could you cut the snarky comments for once?"

"I'll consider it," I answered.

He rolled his eyes and started eating as I headed over to Luke.

"Good morning, Mister Lucas," I beamed.

"Geez, you seem much more excited to see him than me." Prince Coleman interjected.

"Ever occur to you that maybe I am more excited to see him? One of you two is actually nice, and the other is not. I'll leave it up to you, your highness, to puzzle out who is who."

"You certainly make no effort to hide your very sharp opinions." Coleman shook his head.

Thedoor to his room swung open, interrupting our banter, and Princess Calista walked in.

Author's note:

Sorry for not updating Friday.  My buffer of extra pages has totally run out, and I'm going through a bit of a writer's block. O.o  I'll try to update three times a week as promised, but I might end up having to cut it down to once or twice a week.

Also, thank you for 4k reads!  That's so awesome!!! :D