Chapter 45

The Marstella Incident

"Oh, I'm sorry!"

"Don't worry about—" Luke stopped mid-sentence as he turned to face the girl who had bumped into him. "—It," he finished entirely too late.

The young woman looked up at him with a dazzling smile and crystal blue eyes. Her hair, tucked back into a bun, was a brilliant shade red and orange. Luke's heart quickened at the sight of beautiful girl. Ballads and stories had told tales of love at first sight, none of which Luke had believed in. That is, until that moment.

"I haven't seen you around before." Luke said. She wore the crisp black maid uniform.

"I'm a new maid in the castle." Her eyes sparkled. "What's your name?"

"I'm Lucas. Lucas Prescott. You can call me Luke, though." He was sure his smile was too big.

"Nice to meet you," she answered. "My name is Marstella."

               "When I first saw her," Luke told me

"When I first saw her," Luke told me. "I was—quite smitten. She was beautiful. And, well, she liked me too. You see, I was rather obvious about my interest in her." He chuckled. "Marstella was—incredible. She was clever and smart and beautiful and fun. At first, when she would look at me, it was like I couldn't breathe. And then, when I did get more used to her, her very presence lit my very soul. Marstella was everything I could have wanted and more."

I wondered if strangling Luke would be an inappropriate response.

I decided against it and nodded as though I were still interested in this horrible story.

"One-day, Marstella said how she wished we could spend more time together. You see, we spent our breakfasts and lunches and dinners together, nights when I got off working, and really any moment we could spare."

Maybe I shouldn't have rejected the strangling idea.

"But, we still didn't see each other most of the day, and I got off quite late at night. The Prince needs me pretty much all day. Marstella wanted to work closer with me, so that we could spend more time together." Luke took a deep breath. "So, I introduced the idea to Prince Coleman of employing a 'personal maid.' And, well, you understand the job description. It means a lot more time with the Prince, but more importantly, a lot more time with me. The Prince agreed, as he had no real reason not to. And so, I had Marstella fill the position. She suggested that we keep our relationship indiscreet, so as not to appear unprofessional in front of the Prince. I agreed, and it meant a lot of forlorn glances, quick and hidden kisses, purposeful smiles. I would even pass her notes!"

What if I barfed? All over his car. Everywhere. Then we would have to pull over and the story would be ruined. Aw, what a shame, I would say. And I was so looking forward to hearing all about your grand romance with Marstella. That's too bad that I barfed everywhere.

"But then, things shifted."

Well thank gosh. I almost said but decided not to.

"Our meal breaks were staggered, so while I saw Marstella most of the day, we didn't spend any real quality time. And after our shift, when we spent time together, things were just..." Luke's eyebrows furrowed. "Different."

He didn't say anything for a second or two, and since we were at the part I was interested in, I asked, "Different how?"

"Mars, she, she didn't kiss me like she used to. There was a tension. She didn't look at me or smile like she once did."

"So you broke up?" I said, probably with more enthusiasm than necessary.

"One day..." Luke's breath became shallow. "I came into the Prince's room after breakfast and—" A pause. "And Marstella was on his lap kissing him. Kissing Prince Coleman."

My mouth dropped. I really should have seen this coming, what with all the hints of this "Marstella Incident," and yet I had forgotten all that in the heat of my annoyance.

"Prince Coleman?"

"Yeah. Apparently," Luke swallowed hard. "She used me to get closer to the Prince. Turns out, Marstella is a daughter of the Lord Allegro. But, she's an illegitimate child. In an attempt to claim more legitimacy, her plan in coming to the castle was to become a favorite of the Prince." Luke stared intently onto the road. "And she succeeded. Marstella is one of Prince Coleman's favorites."

"Wait," I said. "Do you mean to tell me that...that she still is with Coleman?"

"She is. I usually see her at least once a month."

My mouth dropped in horror. "And—and Prince Coleman subjects you to that? He forces you to watch him and Marstella together?!"

"The Prince is unaware of the nature of my relationship with Marstella." Luke cast me a sharp eye. "Nor does he need to know."

"But Luke...that's terrible. You're forced to see that traitorous, conniving, heartless piece of crap who completely used you," I took a breath. "Glom herself all over the Prince!"

"It doesn't matter anymore," he said, tightening his grip on the steering wheel. "I'm over it."

I could see quite clearly the fact that he was not over it. Not at all.

"Yeah right," I mumbled.

"What did you say?"

"Nothing."

The ride back consisted of the radio's music playing over the tense and awkward air. I wasn't sure how to process the information.

On one part, I was fueled with indignant anger towards this Marstella brat for breaking Luke's heart and undoubtedly planting crippling insecurity into him. How dare she use him?

I was also mad at Prince Coleman for being such a man whore and for being completely absorbed with himself, because there was no way any normal person could have missed that Luke and Marstella were a thing. The fact that he liked her oozed out of him.

I suppose that was the third thing that unsettled me. Yes, it was technically history now, but the way Luke talked about Marstella perhaps upset me more than anything else. I guess in that way, I was as selfish as Coleman. Upset that Luke had ever liked another girl.

Which, of course, was ridiculous.  There was no real good reason to be upset that Luke had had feelings for someone else in the past.

Because, surely, those feelings were in the past.

Surely.