Ch. 2

I was sitting in my sit near the window when Yvette walked into the classroom. As soon as she sat down she noticed the confused look on my face. I wonder what else she's told people about me? The question was haunting me with the stinch of fustration.

But how would I ask? Should I just come out and say it? Or should I just mention it and see if she finishes it? Oh just make up your mind already before class is over.

"Hey, Yvette," I started. She turned to look at me, curiousity racing across her face.

What were you telling people before I got here? Did you tell them about what happened?

"So.....I heard that you were telling people about my coming here," I decided to mention it, so it wouldn't seem like I was accusing her of anything.

"Yeah, but only because I was excited you were moving in with me," she informed me with an 'isn't that obvious' tone. Well I already knew that.

"What else did you tell them?" I asked, still trying to keep it casual. She looked at me with more confusion then before.

"That's pretty much all I--" she quickly cut herself off. A minute passed as she realized where the conversation was going. Innocence rushed onto her face as if it was trying to win a race against her curiousity; it won. "Wait, you don't think I told anyone about that do you? Because you know I would never tell anybody your personal business. You know that right?"

"Yeah, I know," I reassured her. "I don't even know why I was thinking that," I admitted. At that second, James walked pass the open classroom door.

He must've felt my eyes on him, because he looked up immediately. He smiled his winning smile as he continued to walk pass.

His voice popped into my head as soon as he looked at me; Hey partner. I don't know why, but it just gave me chills just replaying that over in my head.

Is it wrong for me to feel this why? I haven't even known him for a month. It's just something about him that makes me feel like I'm the only person in the room. Why are you acting like this? For all we know, he was probably just trying to be the nice guy picking the new girl for a partner, so don't get excited.

"What was that all about?" Yvette questioned me. I hadn't realized that Yvette noticed James and I's so called eye-contact.

"What's what?" I pretended like I didn't know what she was talking about while Mrs. Hall started to began the lesson.

Yvette gave me a smug look before turning to face the front of the class. English isn't a easy class for me, but I'd choose it over Calculus anyday.

"Okay....who can tell me the difference between Realism and Modernism?" Even though I've only been here a couple of day now, I've noticed that Mrs. Hall always starts the lessons by asking a question.

"Realism is when something's not fake, right? Like me," and as always, Timothey's the first person to respond assertedly.

"Well, then you mean it's dealing with real things and real life problems. Everyday situations like love, hate, dealth, talking on the phone...coming to school to see your favorite teacher," she flipped her hair to acknowledge herself.

Everyone let out a laugh as she continued. "Okay, since we know what Realism is, can anyone tell me want Modernism is? It's the exact opposite," she looked at me. "Tracey, you want to give it a shoot?"

"Oh, okay. Um, Modernism is, like, something in your imagination; something that you see in your mind. At first it may start off as a regular scene, like walking through a zoo. But then something unnatural happens, like seeing the elephants playing hopscotch or something," I gave an embarassing laugh at how silly it sounded. To my surprise, everyone else was laughing too.