Ch. 3

"Why hasn't he called?!" I watched as Yvette paced back and forth across the front porch. It was a warm Saturday, the kind of day to go swimming. It seemed like everyone in the neighborhood was outside either on their porches, or walking up and down the street. There were a couple of kids running around playing tag. "He's had my number exactly twenty-four hours now and he still hasn't found the nerve to call? Come on, Andrew, man up!"

"He's probably just nervous. I mean, let's face it Yvette, it's not that easy to get back in your good graces," I suggested.

"Oh please," she mumbled under her breathe. There was an ackward silence until her cell phone rung. Yvette looked down at her phone, then looked up at me. I couldn't tell if her expression was excitement or confusion. "I think it's him," she explained to me. "Should I answer it?" She already knew what my answer was by the look on my face. She put her phone on speaker and answered it.

"Hello?" she asked in an innocent voice.

"What are you doing?" I whispered to her, but she just shhhed me quiet.

"Um, hey Vetty. It's me, Drew." He spoke carefully, like he was concentrating on what to say after he spoke every word. Although she tried to fight it, I could tell she had a slight smile on her face. She greeted him with a "hey", it seemed to be all she could get out at the moment.

"Do you mind if I came over? I think it'll be better if we did this in person," he hesitated. She agreed and hung up the phone. I stared at her with an enthusiastic smile. She finally let herself smile but quickly stopped. "Oh no!" She ran in the house like she was in a race.

"What's wrong?" I yelled after her while she started up the stairs.

"Look at what I'm wearing!" she yelled from inside of the house.

I didn't realize that we both were still in our lodge clothes. Then I remembered that I had a "date" tonight, so I rushed in heading to my room. I stood looking in my closet, hoping I could spot something that would catch my eye.

I finally found the pink long dress-like shirt that I had bought when Yvette and I were at the mall, I just threw some leggings on under it instead of pants. A while had passed when we heard the doorbell ring. Yvette volunteered me to get it since she wasn't ready yet. When I opened the door, I faced Andrew.

He looked me up and down as he recognized the shirt. "I told you," he greeted me with as I invited him in. He sat on the couch as I sat in the chair. So, why are you here? I hope you're not here to say goodbye.

"Look, Andrew," I began, "why did you come here? I'd really hate to have to hurt you because you're messing with my cousin's emotions." He quickly looked at me, obviously startled by my accusion.

"Come on, Trace," he began offendedly, "of all people, you know me better than that." I agreed with an apologetic look.

Of course I know you better then anybody, we've been bestfriends since we could walk. Yvette came down in a sky blue blouse that was loose but still showed off her figure. "Wow," Andrew stumbled out. It seemed to be all he could he could force out. Yvette noticed his astonished face and gave an embarassing smile as she headed towards the couch.

Before she could sit, Andrew threw his arms around her as though he never wanted to let her go. I excused myself and headed towards the kitchen. I made sure I was out of sight, but still in hearing range. I wanted to make sure I could hear when it was my que to butt in before things got out of hand.

"You don't know how long I've wanted to do that," I could hear Andrew admitting to Yvette after letting her go. "I don't even know where to start," he admitted, not to anyone in particular. I heard a muffled against the couch, so I figured they sat down.