Family of Four

Tai and Meili soon became inseparable from Ai and Jie, and for the next few weeks neither allowed them out of their sight, too afraid they would disappear or abandon them, but as the days past and their lives took on a normality, the children eventually settled into family life.  Meili more so than Tai as her lovely gentle disposition matched Ai perfectly, she was also very generous with her affection, often hugging both Ai and Jie while Tai would watch on smiling but never allowing anything more than the occasional pat on his head.

But it was when Jie found out the childrens father had tamed and raised wild horses, that Tai found his place in their home and eventually into their hearts.  Taking the boy with him, to the annual field day, an animal auction, to buy more horses, Jie got to learn of the boys vast knowledge on not only the best horses to buy, but which was were best for breeding and which ones were best for laboring.  

Purchasing 3 more horses, one for each of them, Tai took it upon himself to care for them, not trusting Jie at all with their well being, which Jie allowed though somewhat grudgingly.  But if it meant the boy felt some sense of security and maybe even a closeness to the father still he loved and missed, then Jie saw nothing wrong with allowing him full reign of the stables.  He also insisted on a saddle with stirrups for his sister.

 "She does not know how to ride a horse, so she needs protecting.  She's also a girl, girls don't ride bare back." he stated firmly with his hand on his hips as he glared up at Jie.  Though his comment was aimed at Ai, who did not use a saddle.

Chuckling lightly down at the boy, Jie patted the top of head softly.  "Alright Tai, a saddle it is." he said raising both hands, palms outwards in surrender while widening his eyes in mock horror, causing Tai to laugh.  The first time Jie had ever heard it, let alone seen him smile.  Though he couldn't hold back the laughter when the boy suddenly coughed in embarrassment before turning and walking back to the house.

____________________________________________________________

Ai too spent as much time as she could with Meili, teaching her many things that interested her as a child, and that included martial arts.  A skill that Jie was not aware of, but if Meili was to be protected, she also needed to know how to protect herself.  

But not wanting Jie or even Tai to know about their lessons, she taught the girl in secret.  And this all came about because of a painting that Meili had drawn while waiting for Jie and Tai to return home from buying their new horses.

Sitting quietly outside in the sun paint and brushes, they enjoyed an afternoon of creating pictures for Meili's room which was looking very pretty with her new bed, bedding and furniture, including a beautiful glass lamp, that the child took an instant liking to.  "My mother used to have one like it." she had told her softly.  Pulling the child into her arms to soothe the tears, Jie had automatically purchased it.

Now outside creating a large painting for her wall, Ai sat stunned at the childs artwork.  For one so young, she had a natural talent for capturing exactly what she saw, and as her painting began to take on a life of its own, she suddenly gasped, because what the child was recreating was the Dragon and the Lion.

Above the mountain ranges and forest she had painted, The Black Dragon soared high, as fire erupted from its mouth directly at the Lion who though severely injured, had its teeth bared and ready to attack.

Ai looked at Meili sadly.  "Are you sure this is what you want to hang on your wall Meili?" she asked softly as Meili looked up at her with tears in her eyes.

Nodding her head softly, she pointed down at the Black Dragon.  "If he hadn't showed up, there would be more orphans." she said softly.  "The Lion killed many people, and the Dragon came to save us." she said adamantly causing Ai to consider her words seriously. "And..." she added with a small smile.  "He looks like Jie." she giggled lightly causing Ai to laugh at the ludicrous thought.