Transformation

No sooner had Ai fled, than Jie stumbled helplessly from the house to the stables to give chase, but the fullness of his need still achingly evident slowed his progress, that by the time he had reached the stables, she was long gone.  

Storming back to the house, Jie gathered an overnight bag together.  He would not be returning until he had found her, he thought angrily to himself, fully prepared to take her if she wouldn't break out and take if from him.  Never had he been so angry or so much in need, he desperately needed her and he would do whatever he had to do to get her back.

And the first place Ai headed to was Chang Lis little apartment for the children.  She missed them terribly having been over a week since she last saw them, the longest break they had ever had from her. 

Racing into his home, she found the children playing quietly and as she flew into the room, both children rose immediately to look at her, neither of them moving suddenly fearful her temper may still be raging.

Dropping to knees before them with her arms open wide, she flashed them the biggest smile they had ever seen as Chang Li walked in quietly behind her.

"Mother!" Meili cried as she ran into arms so happy to see her.  As much as she had loved staying with Chang Li, she was ecstatic to see her mother after so long.  "I missed you so much." she suddenly burst into tears as the memory of why they were even there came back to her.  

"I know my dear." Ai said softly as she held her gently, I missed you both terribly." she whispered into her hair, while keeping the smile on her face and the tears at bay. 

"Can we go home mother, I want to go home." Meili cried louder, she missed her painting, her room, her horse, her home, but most of all her parents.

Looking as if she was going to reject the idea, Tai moved forward.  "Mother." Tai whispered softly falling to his own knees before her. "Take us home." he said with eyes full of hope and longing.

Never had Ai ever heard him call her that in all the years she had known him.  "Oh Tai." she whispered choking up as the tears she had tried so hard to contain, immediately began to fall.  Pulling him into her arms as Meili let her go, she held him tightly, and though his body was rigid, he did lay his head lightly on top of hers briefly before nodding at her and pulling back.  As much as he loved her, being held like that was for children and he was no longer a child, the embarrassment at her sudden emotional outburst had him blushing heavily but silently pleased.

Both children faced her refusing to accept another day at Chang Li, both of them ready to argue, even to disobey if she refused them, but they needn't have worried, she could clearly see their desire to return with her to their father, their family.  Her family, she thought to herself.  

Initially Ai was going to ask Chang Li to take them for one more week or longer to punish Jie even more, but the look on their little faces broke her heart.  Nodding her head, she held her arms open once again as they both flew into them, with Meili squealing and Tai desperately trying to hold back his tears instead coughing lightly to cover the tremble in his body.

Allowing the children all the time they needed in her arms as she held them both, even refusing to let Tai go, pulling him back when he tried to rise, knowing he desperately wanted it but was too proud to accept it.  Laughing with them, as they happily reunited she finally rose and faced Chang Li.

"Thank you for taking care of the children Chang Li." she smiled at him.  "I'll be taking them home now.   Is there anything we can do for you?" she asked prepared to pay whatever he needed or wanted, but he merely shook his head smiling back her, happy to finally to see the children going home and looking forward to returning to his.