Early days

Construction on the school was well under way, and under Mo Yuans strict control, his crew were making very good progress and with their youthful exuberance behind him, he estimated, they would be finished within 2 months.  And having already been there for three months, it was merely a few hours in the Immortal world, he would be home in plenty of time for the next planned meeting with his bride to be.  A woman he was liking less and less with each meeting she refused.

Though the daughter of The Fox King, a very close friend and brother, he couldn't help but feel used by him.  His position in society was the only reason why he was being considered for her, not that her position was any less, she was a Queen after all, and one the Realms men fought vigorously for, before being gifted to him.  No one outside of her immediate family had ever met her, she was reclusive and private, so he did understand her reticence to meet with him.  And though he too was just as private and reclusive,  he had at least made the effort to meet her half way.  

And with another meeting due the following day, he would have to return, though if she didn't show for this meeting, he would more than likely cancel the arrangement.  He was the revered War God, not some low born Prince from a small Tribe.  And though he was a generous man with an understanding heart, he would only tolerate so much, and a man of his standing would not allow another rejection, regardless of his relationship with her father.  

And those thoughts had him thinking of Ai, who was once again sitting beside him.  She had come to share a meal with him at the end of each day, and he had learned a little more about her, though she kept much of her life private, he could sense a deep sadness around her.  

She had told him, she was in an arranged marriage with a man she had yet to meet, but had no interest in.  Her life was happy enough without a marriage of convenience, which led him to believe she was from a family of high standing, and she was hiding from them.  He could also understand her reticence, he too was in the same position, and he told her as much.

"But I have agreed to meet him, so I will be gone for a few days." she had told him, though he kept his own meeting to himself, he felt she just needed someone to vent to, and he was happy enough to let her.  

Their friendship grew with each passing day, that Mo Yuan began to look forward to the end of the day as much as his young crew, who constantly ribbed him.  "How is it possible you have managed to gain her interest, when no man had ever come close?" one of them asked him making him laugh.

"I mean, I could understand if you were handsome." he continued, "But you're not!" he added to more laughter.  

His young crew were a jovial bunch, and he was not exempt from their ribbing either, they took great delight in causing him as much discomfort as they could get away with.  But he enjoyed their light hearted banter, it made the work ahead of them that much easier, especially when they sang.  It was delightful, though many of the songs they enjoyed singing together, were best kept to the taverns, being somewhat bawdy, but he found as the days passed, he too began to join in having learned the words from them, and that had him laughing.  If Zhe Yan and Bai Zhi could see him now, they would surely think he'd lost his mind, and would cancel the marriage arrangement themselves. 

Now sitting with Ai under the make shift overhang he had erected for shade from the harsh sun, they sat together and enjoyed another meal.  

"So when will you be leaving?" he asked her.  

"Tomorrow." she said quietly.  

He could see her body was tense, so he quickly changed the subject.

"Well, when you return, we should have finished the frame." he said waving his hand at the building behind him.  "The hardest part will be finished, and we can start on the main rooms and outdoor areas." he added with a smile.