The Unveiling

Unable to use their magic, it was well after midnight by the time they arrived at the house having walked the whole way.

"Couldn't you have built your house in the forest Mo Yuan?" Puffed Zhe Yan who had never walked so far in his life and the Mortal Realm air being as dense as it was, only made it that much harder for him.

"We're here." Jie said before facing them.  Bai Zhens disguise was thick and impenetrable and his energy completely shut down, which he could see he was struggling with, and though he couldn't see Zhe Yan, he could hear him.  "Zhe Yan, the Mortals do not like us Immortals remember, keep yourself behind your barrier, but if you must come out, be in disguise and close down your energy, a man with your looks will draw attention." he said brusquely, though the flattery at his good looks was meant to ease the frayed nerves , the man was exceptionally vain, and Mo Yuan ruthlessly pulled out his trump card to still his anger even though he was not at all liking their forced entry into his new life or their home, but having no choice, he led the way up the narrow shell laden path that he and Ai had collected.

"My name is Jie in this form." he added as they reached the house, where they were immediately drawn to the opening of the door.  

"Tai, what are you doing out of bed?" Jie asked alarmed, dawn hadn't even broken.

Looking somewhat stunned to see him outside in the dark with a visitor, Tai quickly ducked his head down to greet the visitor before facing Jie.  "I always get up this early, the horses need feeding." he reminded him, though to the boy, he seemed to be looking rather guilty having been caught outside in the early hours of the morning.

Turning to Bai Zhen, Jie introduced the two.  "My son Tai." he said ignoring the light gasp that came from behind him. "Tai, this is an old friend of mine, Chang Li." he waved towards Bai Zhen who gave him a raised brow as they moved forward to enter the house.

Tai was the only one awake when they entered, but looking around Bai Zhen couldn't help but notice the young girl items that were scattered around the main room.  Picking up a very small skirt, he held it up with a frown. "Ai's?" he asked turning towards Jie.

"No, my daughters Meili." he said with a small smile from the kitchen as he prepared tea and light snacks, something that stunned both men.  The thought of a domesticated Mo Yuan brought very wide grins to their faces.   Then sitting him down, he explained the presence of the children and how he came to be their father.

Picking up the tea, Bai Zhen looked into his cup with another frown before lightly swilling it around the cup beneath his nose.  The scent seemed to please him as he took a small sip, before raising his eyes appreciatively in his direction.   "Do you cook too?" he asked with a smirk, taking a small bite of the cake which he also seemed to like, throwing the whole thing into his mouth before picking up another.

"Yes, I also launder." he told him with a an even wider smirk gaining a loud snort and a soft chuckle from the thin air beside Bai Zhen.

Quietly among themselves, Jie went through the events that had led him to live among the mortals as Bai Zhen listened in silence, giving him a nod or a frown as the full story unfolded.  From the battle with the Golden Lion, to joining a building crew and taking over as their overseer, and to meeting Ai.  "She is beautiful." he whispered softly as his story came to an end, and though he could hear the snigger coming from Zhe Yan, he ignored it, he would find out soon enough when Ai awoke.

"So these children were made orphans because of your battle?" Zhe Yan asked, saddened at the thought that so many children had suffered because of their world and the way they often handled situations without a thought to whom they might affect in the process.