Love Hurts

It was almost midnight when Jie returned to his Mortal Realm home, and still having no idea what he was going to say to Ai, he stood at the doorway for almost half an hour deciding what to do.  He was so close to ending it all, and returning to Kunlun Mountain where he belonged, but to leave her with a house and children to care for, he just couldn't.  He loved them, more than his own life, to walk away now would hurt them all, and for what?  The mistakes he had made, were his own, not theirs.  His children had suffered far too much already, they still needed a father, and he was too heavily invested in their lives to let them go, not when they were not yet of an age to stand alone.

In the end, he left the Peaches and medicines on the doorstep for Ai to find in the morning, and entered the house before closing the door as quietly as he could.  There were no candles burning and no movement, but as he made his way to their bedchamber, the light sound of stifled crying could be heard and he picked up the pace.

Walking straight into the room which was in darkness he quickly lit a candle before moving to the side of the bed.  And though the dim flame was enough to make his way to her side of the bed, he could not see her face.  Sitting down beside her, he felt her jump before a strangled gasp broke through her crying and the blanket whipped back that she had pulled over her head, no doubt to keep her crying quiet.

"Ai?" Jie said softly as her wide eyes came into view.  Bending down, he pulled her up and into his arms as her own automatically wrapped themselves around his neck.

"Jie! You're finally home." she cried tearfully as she clung to him.

"I'm home." he said softly, though his emotions were in turmoil.  Had he been gone too long, is that why she was crying? he wondered as he gently stroked her hair.  "I'm sorry I have been gone longer than I intended Ai, but I'm home now." he said soothingly as she continued to sob against him.

But that wasn't why she was crying.  The past three days had been hell for her.  To find out that the man who was her future Immortal Husband, was the one who had destroyed her town and people, the one who was responsible for the death of their children's parents, the one who took her body and almost her heart in a night of heated passion was the very Dragon she had sworn to find and take retribution.  

It was more than enough for one woman to handle, but to then stumble on her son who had been beaten so severely, to have struggled alone to return him home safely almost getting herself into trouble in the process, by being accosted by a group of thugs she was forced to fight, and then to return home to learn that their son knew of her true identity almost broke her.

After her talk with Tai, and ensuring his silence, she felt something in him move,  and though she had fully explained to him, what she was, her true identity and why she was there living among them and had been for many years, a barrier had gone up.  He distanced himself from her, and she could not find a way around it.

But how could she tell Jie that?  He would do the same thing, or worse.  He would leave her.  She couldn't do or say anything except cry, because she would not lose him too and even the thought of hurting him was enough to break her heart, she couldn't tell him, so she clung to him instead.

But as much as she loved him and their children, she knew she couldn't stay for much longer, she had a Dragon to deal with, and he needed to be dealt to swiftly so he couldn't hurt anyone else again.  And her mind had been very busy planning what she needed to do, though she would wait until the children were old enough and in stable relationships of their own before she began the process of leaving.  And having at least 2 years or 3 at the most left before that day came, she would begin the aging process in earnest.

"I'm so sorry Ai." Jie said softly as he lowered his head down into her hair, cutting into her thoughts and bringing her back to the present.  "I'm sorry I hurt you, I'm sorry I left you alone and I'm so sorry for the three months of hell I put you through." he added as she pulled him closer.