Past Futures

With a new baby to prepare for, Ai spent as much time as she could at Tai and Rus home, so much so that like most mother in laws, her presence became unbearable for the new mother, who though polite and respectful, began to resent what she felt was an intrusion on their privacy, but Tai insisted, that as she was his mother, his wife had best learn to deal with it, which caused tension and being pregnant did not help matters.  In fact Tai learned very quickly that a pregnant women was more dangerous than a drunk one eyed Army Commander.

He paid dearly for that slip, one he promised himself to to never make again, especially considering he had entered the marriage armed with do's and don'ts he had learned from Jie, and one of the do's was to shower his wife with affection and agree with everything she said, but Ai was his mother, one he loved deeply and refused to offend,  but in the end they came to a compromise.

  Ai could visit only when he was home, but thankfully Ai was completely unaware of the tension she had inadvertently caused the couple but Jie wasn't and not wanting to be the one to inform her that her almost 3 times a day visits were a bit much for the young mother to cope with, he instead took her away for a few days to one of the many seaside villages that dotted the Eastern coastline.

He knew why she wanted to be a part of Rus pregnancy, and he fully understood her reluctance to leave, but explaining that they rarely had the opportunity to holiday alone, having had to raise the children, she eventually gave in, it was only for a few days and she would catch up with them when they returned and with Tai also needing a reason for a break, the horses would be fine.

Though for Jie, he wanted to spend their last few months together doing things only a married couple would do, and without anyone else to worry about, he ensured their last months were filled with laughter, happiness and peaceful thoughts, so her memories of their time together would forever remain with her.  So that when she returned, she would have only fond memories of a Mortal Realm marriage to look back on and remember without regrets.

___________________________________________________________

The little village he took her to was sparsely populated, with only a mere 100 residents, most of whom were either small farm holders or fishermen, Jie rented a room at the only inn for 4 days.  He knew she would want to return for her visit with their daughter, otherwise he would have booked it for much longer.  The room was lovely, and the elderly couple who ran the inn, were adorable, so much so, Ai fell in love with them immediately.

"It's not often we have visitors dear, but I do have one concern." The elderly woman said as Jie moved to sign the registry book.

Smiling with a raised eye brow, Jie looked down at the small petite woman who had suddenly grabbed hold of Ais hand and protectively  pulled her a little closer.

"Now I know we're a small isolated community, and it may seem that we don't know what goes on in the large towns with you young people, but we can't allow unwed couples to be sharing the rooms." she said gently but firmly.  Then looking up at Ai, she leaned in closer and lowered her voice.  "Are you sure you two are married dear?  I know you young ones use the small village inns for all kinds of unsavory means, but if you really are married, then I won't have a problem allowing you both to share a room." she stated matter of fact while giving Jie a thorough eye lashing.  

Keeping his laughter at bay, Jie looked down at the woman who had firmly attached herself to Ais waist and bowed deeply.  "Grandmother, please rest assured that Ai and I are a married couple and we have no intention of bringing ill repute to your fine establishment." he said softly but firmly, while Ai who was unable to hold in the light chuckle, threw her arms around the small woman.

"Grandmother, Jie is my husband, we won't cause you trouble while we are here." she said affectionately, while smirking up at Jie.

Looking Jie over one more time, she raised her hand and pointed at him.  "I know shifty eyes when I see them young man, and your eyes are full of tricks.  I will be keeping a close eye on you." she said firmly as she poked his chest with her outstretched finger.