Prologue

As I looked to my right I could see the "Virginia welcomes you" sign. I sighed and turned back right into my seat. 

"I understand this is hard for you sweetie I really do but since you aren't 18 yet we can't let you live by yourself" Michelle, my social worker says with a pitied look on her face.

"I know Michelle, I just miss him that's all", I say choking up at the end. With one last glance at me, Michelle finally turns her attention back to the road.  

I haven't seen my mother in person since I was 14. My parents got divorced when I was 7 and I hadn't seen much of her growing up. It was usually just me and dad. 

I watch the pretty scenery as it goes by my and eventually, I find my eyes closing to the soft hum of the radio. 

_____________________________________________

"Wake up Aubrey, we are at your mother's house", Michelle said as she shook me awake. I sat up rubbing my eyes and I looked around. It appears my mother has been doing pretty well.

The house was really beautiful. It was a simple two-story house with beige colored siding and a white front porch. Around the front porch was a skillfully planted garden with multiple different kinds of colorful flowers. 

As soon as I got out of the car my mother's front door opened and she came running out. My mother still looked as pretty as I remembered her. Same shoulder length, stylish cut brown hair, deep green eyes, and her short frame. 

Much like my short frame. 

My mother immediately started crying as soon as she saw me and that also caused me to tear up. 

"Oh my poor baby", she began to sob which only made me start to cry.

Losing my father was something that had never even crossed my mind. I figured that since he had gone and come back so many other times, this one would be no different.

But it was. It was so, heartbreakingly different.

My father was my hero. A true, kind-hearted man who was my best friend. 

++++Flashback++++

I wipe my hands on the cute blue and red dishrag hanging beside me as I hear the doorbell ring. I make my way to the door, unlock it, then open it. 

An older man stands on the other side of my door, in his fancy, shmancy uniform, which caught my eye right away. 

"Miss Wilson?" he questions, catching my attention. 

"Y-Yes?" I question worriedly, hoping this isn't what I think this is. 

Praying that this man isn't about to give me a message I had watched a few neighbors receive.

"Why don't we go inside and talk?" he asks mannerly. 

"Okay," I open the door wider for him and he enters. I lead him to the couch and we both take a seat. 

"Would you like anything to drink?"

"No, I'm alright," he smiles with a hint of sadness in his eyes. 

"Your father, miss Wilson, what is your father's full name?" He asks and my eyebrows furrow. Why would he ask that?

"Nicholas Malcolm Wilson," I say softly, and he takes a deep breath before letting it out slowly and dragging his eyes up to mine. 

"The commandant of the Marine Corps has entrusted me to express his deep regret that your father, Nicholas Wilson, was killed in action in Afganistan late yesterday. The commandant extends his deepest sympathy to you in your loss."