Part 12 "You really don't know anything"

*Sergeant Owen Robertson's pov*

++++++Flashback+++++++

"Captain! Time to get up capt.!" I laugh. He was currently lying with his head on his pack and the rest of his body propped up by a big rock.

He shook awake and shook his sleep away.

"Tired old man?" I tease.

"Shut your mouth boy" He smiles, "Calm out here?"

"Everything has been all quiet" I nod.

"I can't wait to get back home" capt. says with a longing look on his face.

"I wish I could meet that beautiful daughter of yours," I smirk at him.

"Boy, I may be older than you but I can still unleash a can of whoop ass!"

"I was kidding" I laugh at his defensive stance.

"You best b-" capt. gets cut off by an RPG strike to our right.

We all scramble to take cover and hide behind the dirt mounds.

"Captain!! What should we do?!" Private first class, Evan Smart yells over the gunfire.

"Move forward, but stay covered at all times. Protect your brothers," Captain says as he stands up from his places motioning us to follow.

I feel my heart beating at 200 beats per minute and I feel adrenaline rush through my veins.

We all run forward, some of us stopping to take aim.

"Private! Radio base and tell them we need air support!" Capt. yell and stands up charging forward.

I follow right beside him. He has been nothing but a father figure out here with me and I trust him with my entire life.

Since I'm younger than Capt. by quite a few years, my speed is a little quicker than his. I soon find myself a few feet in front of him.

"Owen IED!" Capt. yells from behind me and I try my best to skid to a stop but I can't.

I try bracing myself for the explosion but the back of my pack is pulled and I land on top of something.

I open my eyes to see the halfway buried IED right beside me. I get up carefully and turn around to see what I landed on.

"Thank God for you capt!" I exclaim helping him up.

"You're heavier than shit. Keep moving!" He replies and moves forward.

____________________________

"Ya'll be careful walking round' here! It looks like they dropped a damn defective one," Captain rolls his eyes as we walk into the town where the combatants were firing from.

We all started searching the town for any survivors and thankfully, we haven't found any yet.

Just as we turn what feels like the twentieth corner, a bloody and battered adversary shoots a cheap and almost ruined rifle. The bullet flies right beside me and we automatically execute him.

I turn to see where Captain went since usually after a single execution he would contact base but all I saw was him on the ground holding his chest with bloodied hands.

"Get the medic!" I shout and the guys scramble trying to find the medic. Half the guys stand there shocked with horrified faces. The guys on their first tours who have never seen an American get shot.